Pda Waypoint Question

scaw

I have an ipaq which i have got my waypoints in my area on (i use tomtom 5) is there a way of having the name of the cache instead of the waypoint ie Miss Piggy's Farm instead of GCR***

Hope someone can tell me the answer as its driving me nuts

Thanks

I have an ipaq which i have got my waypoints in my area on (i use tomtom 5) is there a way of having the name of the cache instead of the waypoint ie Miss Piggy's Farm instead of GCR***

Hope someone can tell me the answer as its driving me nuts

Thanks

Are you using GSAK? If so you can change the Export so that it gives you this information, GSAK is the way forward and at £8 is real value for money. I'm at work as I type so don't have GSAK at hand but can sort out the finer detail on this later if no one else does in the meantime. I'll post a fuller reply later :huh:

The box normally has:

%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)

This puts the cache name, the setter, the difficulty rating and the terrain rating.

It is well worth reading the help on smart tags, they really add a lot to PDA and to GPS use. Most useful feature has to be the %Drop2, as this gets rid of the "gc" from the waypoint name. Things are easier to find on the GPS then.

Seems like getting the most out of all this can be quite technical.

My set up is now a PPC PDA + Garmin Legend + Memory Map + GSAK + GC.com PQs + TomTom5. [+ a Holux BT GPS on order - but dont tell the wife! :-)]

Are there any docs/websites that go through the best configurations to get the most out of all this hardware & software.

GSAK really seems the business but I'm sure that I could get more out of it if I new how to use these scripts etc.

I have tried reading the help files - but theyre not exactly easy to read.

Any advice / tips / website recommendations / etc will be greatfully received.

Cheers

Phil

Any advice / tips / website recommendations / etc will be greatfully received.

If you let us know what you actually do with you setup, I am sure that we can help "fine tune" it.

You should check out GPXSonar, if you dont already use it, great for paperless caching.

What I'm after is:

Keeping an up to date database of state of caches I have and havent visited.

These records contain all info thats useful and provide double click access to a caches own page in gc.com.

From the database i can export selected waypoints to Memory Map producing overlays on the map that are easy to understand.

Exporting waypoints from MM to PDA and GPS.

I'll probably stick with printing out MM map of area out as its nice to have should all batteries fail.

I'm nearly there with this now. But its just knowing the hacks that you techie types seem to do to take it that stage further. :-)

Cheers

Serious answer to MM question though now, yes you can have a selection of Icons exported GSAK to memory map using the scripts contained in this thread Improved Export From GSAK to Memory Map, A little XSL script. But this gets even better because if you then read this thread Another Memory Map Question..., off-line cache pages? you get offline web pages on your MM PDA export, really cool indeed :huh:

Now the Icons are specific to the cache type, its status, does it have TB's in it, and owned/found/not found

This is the dogs as they say

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited for a PS

PS I'll help anyone script up theses if they require help (yep that Moote can be nice)

Edited by Moote