How-to Effectively Search

sifrkluvszmooches

The best practice is to take your own container and hide it in a near by field. (like under a log or something) Waymark the location, walk some 100ft away and 'GOTO' the waymark.

Look around a bit, scratch your head, search some more. Then come back tomorrow and try looking again.

Works for me everytime.

I also enjoy caches on long hikes. In fact all my hides require a hike to the cache. Hopefully, I will see your logs on some of my caches. Hiking caches are good for a couple of reasons:

#1 is that you can say the main reason you went out was to go hiking, the cache is just a bonus. Then if you don't find the cache you can still say it was a nice hike.

#2 these caches are more likely to be regular sized caches rather than a hard to find micro. I happen to like micros, but beginners will often find it easier to find a large cache than a micro.

Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions.

Sorry if I mislead you guys. There were some comments about I needing help to find the cache, what I meant was how can I find caches with specific criterias on geocaching.com, then I would go out and track them down myself. Sorry for the confusion.

And yes, I do intend on going on a few short, easy cache hunts first. I have a friend who's done it before, so we're going out this weekend to find a few. Then I might go off on my own for those more difficult ones on the trails.

Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions.

Sorry if I mislead you guys. There were some comments about I needing help to find the cache, what I meant was how can I find caches with specific criterias on geocaching.com, then I would go out and track them down myself. Sorry for the confusion.

now I KNOW I can be of no help...

~bowing out~

One thing that I do is decide where I want to hike first. Then take the coordinates of some point on the trail from the topo map and enter these on the geocaching.com search page to get a list of nearby caches. Pick the one of these and use the Geocaching.com Maps link to see what other caches may be on that trail. There is an even easier way if you have Google Earth. Click the 'Download Geocache browser in Google Earth' link on your My Account page. You can then zoom in on the area you want to hike in and see the caches there.

Also, once you target your cache/hiking area (zip code, lat/lon, whatever) pull up a search of those local caches and read the descriptions. Most placers will put information on the cache page about the terrain, length of hike, parking spots, recommended routes (easy, hard, evil) etc. Most easy dificulty caches (1/1's) probably won't fit your bill because your intent is to hike...