Egnos European Satellite System ....

Garmin8888

Great when it works.. <_<

...all the "D"'s appear and accuracy of 6-7 feet, on numerous occaisions!!!

however when reception is a bit dodgy my GPSmap 60cs

works better with WAAS disabled.

So the answer is yes it is available but is running as a testbed at the moment

so can be switched on and off at will by those in charge....

so use it but don't rely on it.

As far as I'm aware the aquisition time won't be improved.

The Egnos and WAAS system is more to do with transmitting additional data that confirms without a doubt how accurate your signal is giving you greater confidence in the information that your GPSr is feeding you.

Edited by The Mars Bars

Since EGNOS corrective signals are transmitted by satellites in geostationary orbit you need a reasonably good view of the southern sky to pick them up. In narrow valleys or close to trees/buildings you may get perfectly usable signals from the GPS satellites but no EGNOS (The Ds disappear).

Ah yes, in fact I confused Egnoes with Galileo in my response - On the subject of Galileo, can anyone confirm how our exisitng GPS units will function when they are up and running? From the Galileo website I read the Galileo system will be compatible, but couldn't find more details beyond that.

J

I've had a consistent lock from the EGNOS satellites since June (ish) when they went 'non safety of life' operational. Couple of things, if you have your Garmin in battery saver mode it won't lock on to them and yes, you need a reasonably good view of the southern sky as the satellites are only about 20 degrees above the horizon. It also takes quite a few minutes for the almanac to be downloaded before it is able to use the signal. Look for the D's!

Also the Vista C I use which replaced my Legend has a much better receiver and where the Legend couldn't get a lock the Vista C can. Can't say how well non Etrex GPS's do as I've never used one.

Galileo? Launched a week or so back to start the testbed phase so I wait in hope!

Chris (Mr B alive and kicking).