My First Gps?

Team NightStalker

Well, what do you want it to do? How much do you want to spend? What are you going to do with it?

If you just want it for Geocaching, just about anything will work. I would highly recomend one that can load coordinates from your computer though. Mapping is nice, but not required for caching. I have topo maps on mine and I like them.

Remember that most units don't come with the data cable. So add that into your price comparisons.

One that people here seem to like is the Magellan Explorist 210. Garmin has a lot of nice units that will work well.

I use a Lowrance iFinder H2O+. I got it on price/preformance reasoning. It's map capable, comes with mapping software, SD Card and card reader. The SD card can be used to load waypoints for caches and whatever else you might want a waypoint for as well as the high detail topo maps. I got the whole package for about $200 shipped from pagecomputers.com. It works very well for caching. I find in the car it's nice to have an active external antenna so I can place it on the dash to get a good clear signal. I got mine from an ebay seller for $18. Well worth it. It works so much better than the stock antenna that I used Velcro to stick it to the GPS so I can use it on the go. I also bought a 1GB SD card for maps, that's optional. :D I wanted a few local states worth of maps in there, the 64MB card it came with wasn't big enough for that. I'm in Utah though, the states are bigger out here. I also got a screen protector from theinvisibleshield.com for $10. I think they are worth it to protect the screen.

The biggest downside I see to this unit is that you have to remove the batteries to get to the SD card to load more caches into it. But you don't have to do that all that often, so it's not a big downside. The unit itself can hold 1000 caches. The SD card can have as many as will fit, which is a lot. 1000 caches is about 50KB. :D

If you want to spend even less, pagecomputers sells the H2O by itself for something like $130. You would need to buy an SD card and card reader for your computer to load caches into it. You should be able to get those at a local store for less than $20 as you can use a REALLY small SD card for caches. 4MB or 8MB should be plenty if all you need is waypoints.

Also consider your uses. If you want auto-routing for driving, the H2O doesn't do that. You can build tracks and navigate them, so if you want to you can do it that way. If that's important to you, you should consider another unit. If you just want to cache, the H2O will get you there and back just fine. As will most any unit. I've only logged 8 caches, but I haven't had any trouble finding them.

I would recommend the Garmin etrex legend. Does mapping, has memory, WAAS, computer cable for downloads, rugged,  small sized unit. Can be had for around $135 online. Great bargain.

There are all sorts of answers from all sorts of users for all sorts of reasons...but, in the end, you won't get any better advice than this. Pinky swear. Me, nearly two years on an eTrex Legend, and never regretted it for a second.

Now, if I were stinking filthy rich. If you're stinking filthy rich...can I be your friend...?

It really depends on what you want to spend. You can get a starter unit for around $50 that will work for geocaching, but will be missing some key features. You can spend $400 on a starter unit and software and not worry about having to buy another GPS in a year when you outgrow it. Or you can get something in between.

Some here have mentioned the eTrex Legend and for good reason. It is the ideal starter unit for someone on a budget. It has a PC interface and mapping and will find caches just as well as a unit that costs 3 times as much.

For geocaching the simplest version of GPS will work. I don't think mapping is a required feature, PC-linking IS IMPORTANT. It will give you the opportunity to exchange waypoints, routes and tracks between GPS and PC. (take into account that most laptops don't support COM-connectivity, you'll need a convertor).

Another thing is sattelite-signals under tree-cover. As I recall, Garmin GPS 12 and GPS 60 models claim a better signal-reception. I ain't sure about that but I do know that my Geko 201 and several Etrex Legends that I have used will lose sattelite contact under the trees. Finding a open spot will get you back on track, you can consider using a ordinary magnetic compass next to your GPS to follow your bearing.

All together I chose the Geko 201 because of its size, being the smallest one available. It easilly attaches to my bicycle and also serves as trip-computer, registers my speed (average, max and moving), tripodometer and cycled pathes, which I review in Oziexplorer. Real fun, I can read my velocity on any part of my trip, even the altitude is registered!

You should also look at the Magellan Explorist 210, It has 28MB of memory compared to 8MB in the Garmin Legend. It will do auto routing with Magellans map send direct route. It also has a computer style file structure so that you can store waypoints/caches broken down into geographic areas or even cache types. Tiger GPS sells them for $160.00, they are a little more than the legend form garmin but you will be getting a newer receiver and a lot more features.

Re E-bay, If your are going to buy a used gps there will be no warranty. Also you should not pay more than 50% of the price of a new GPS. Used is used no matter how the seller sugar coats it will terms such as "Mint Condition" ,"Excellent condition", "Like new" it is still used

also before you go looking in a real store take a print out for each GPS your are interested in with the price plus shipping included, you may be surprised at how many retailers will match prices.

Do not be surprised if the staff in the store do not know anything about GPSrs. I have not really found anyone in any store that really knows what they are takling about when it come to GPSrs. Ask them which ones they have used while hiking or backpacking.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

GC has a decent page to help decide on a new GPSr here. At the bottom of that page, a link to gpsinformation.net that is a very useful website for assisting in making a decision. That website has more information than 100 folks posting here could give you, since it all depends on how much you are willing to spend, what else you want to do with the GPSr over and above geocaching, and what types of features you want.