The Explorist Xl Now Available

gpsjeep

I guess It must be available, if they have the Display resolution shown now.

Specifications :: eXplorist XL North America

Coverage: North America

Number of Screens: 4

Unit Width (inches/cm): 2.9 in/7.37 cm

Unit Height (inches/cm): 6.4 in/16.26 cm

Unit Depth (inches/cm): 1.33 in/3.38 cm

Weight (oz/gm): 12.25 oz/347.28 g

Display Resolution Color: 320 x 240 <---Really Nice

Backlit Display: Yes

Backlit Keypad: No <--- I could memorize the button layout

Construction: Rubber Armored Impact Resistant Plastic

Battery Type: 4 AA

Battery Life (hours): 19

Uploadable Memory Form Factor: SD Cards

Edited by GOT GPS?
Maybe Jamie Z or Embra, since they did a nice job reviewing the E500/600, will shell out the bucks for a new XL and post us a review on it.  :signalviolin:

Thanks for the kind words, Jeff, but I don't think I'll do much exploring of this Explorist. I'm feeling disenchanted enough with Magellan that they're going to have to do some Impressive Things to coax me back.

The XL does look nice (from what I have heard it sounds pretty much like a big 500 that uses AAs), but I'm going to hold onto my 500 until they beef up the firmware or I meet a compelling competitor upgrade.

Edited by embra
I'm feeling disenchanted enough with Magellan that they're going to have to do some Impressive Things to coax me back.

I echo Embra's sentiment, which he's probably picked up on based on a couple of exchanged PMs.

I've read through Magellan's data sheet on their website and my earlier opinion still stands. This is just as advertised. An Explorist GPS with a really big screen. This GPS won't be any different from current Explorists, good or bad.

Yes, it's a good GPS, but little different from the Meridian series which it replaces, and little different from the 300-series which that replaced.

The good thing is that it will be immediately compatible with all your favorite geocaching software, namely GSAK. It looks like the SD card will be a little more accessible, which is minorly more convenient.

Perhaps a real USB port and an external antenna jack would give it some bonus points.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

Hmm. I thought earlier message posts said that the XL did not have expandable memory. But this thread seems to imply it does. What's the definitive word on this?

-HB

Edit: Sorry - I think I was confused with the Explorist 210. Question retracted!

Edited by HokieBird
Unlimited SD-card expandability

SD card compatibility provides unlimited memory expansion. Add optional Magellan MapSend software* to get turn-by-turn street routing on detailed street maps, lake contours and fishing spots and topo contour maps to any number of SD memory cards (sold separately).