Thinking Of Movng To The Eugene, Or Area

Sanruft

My family and I are very seriously considering moving to the Eugene, Oregon area and I am looking for both negative and positive points regarding the city and surrounding communities.

Who better to ask than a fellow cacher or caching family living in the area?? :lol::lol:

Thanks in advance for your help!

A great web page to check out would be Oregon this has links at the top to all the local pages. The one in the Eugene area is Emerald Valley CachesAnd if you are going to be here by July of next year you might want to check outChampoeg this is one of the yearly get togethers in the area.

Thanks for the links...I will be looking them over. What I REALLy need is some true, honest input on what it is like living there. I have done a lot of research and everything looks promissing, however, ever city has a negative side and I can't seem to find any negative comments or a negative side posted anywhere...

In other words...Is there a downside to living in and around the Eugene area? (Aside from the 43 inches of average rainfall per year). :o

Hello, I live in Eugene. Eugene is overall a great place to live. Over the last 5 years we haven't even had the 40 plus inches of rain. The way it has rained this month that might be changing back to the norm however and we must remember it is the rain that gives us the green. I love Eugene.....for the most part. I love it for its beauty. I love it for its trails and pathways. Beautiful mountain ranges and ocean beaches are both within about an hours drive. I love it because of the rain and rainbows. We have a thriving cultural community if you like that sort of thing and college sports if you like that. There are a lot of alternatives here in Eugene my list could go on and on for positives. What I feel are negatives you may look at as positives. For example a conservative might be driven nuts by the constant push for environmentalism, social change, etc. that happens here. The liberal may feel that needful efforts are stonewalled by people who do not share their vision. I am being vague as to where I fit in, in an effort to give you a balanced view. We have anarchists that from time to time will go on a rampage and bust things up or burn them just to….well bust them up and burn them. We have police that sometimes may be viewed (by some) as being to aggressive and/or corrupt in their work. Others feel that they are hamstrung. I guess we have a facade of tolerance in Eugene. We tolerate anything until it crosses our personal little pet ideology whichever side of the spectrum it comes from. There is a laid back live and let live feel to Eugene that you don't get elsewhere though. Hiking boots, cowboy boots, and Birkenstocks are equally welcome in most of our restaurants including those that would be considered "fine dining" The Emerald Valley Cachers link provided in an earlier post is a great place to hook up with what I feel is a very nice cache community. Log into the forums and I am sure you will get some responses. :o

Hello, I live in Eugene. Eugene is overall a great place to live. Over the last 5 years we haven't even had the 40 plus inches of rain. The way it has rained this month that might be changing back to the norm however and we must remember it is the rain that gives us the green. I love Eugene.....for the most part. I love it for its beauty. I love it for its trails and pathways. Beautiful mountain ranges and ocean beaches are both within about an hours drive. I love it because of the rain and rainbows. We have a thriving cultural community if you like that sort of thing and college sports if you like that. There are a lot of alternatives here in Eugene my list could go on and on for positives. What I feel are negatives you may look at as positives. For example a conservative might be driven nuts by the constant push for environmentalism, social change, etc. that happens here. The liberal may feel that needful efforts are stonewalled by people who do not share their vision. I am being vague as to where I fit in, in an effort to give you a balanced view. We have anarchists that from time to time will go on a rampage and bust things up or burn them just to….well bust them up and burn them. We have police that sometimes may be viewed (by some) as being to aggressive and/or corrupt in their work. Others feel that they are hamstrung. I guess we have a facade of tolerance in Eugene. We tolerate anything until it crosses our personal little pet ideology whichever side of the spectrum it comes from. There is a laid back live and let live feel to Eugene that you don't get elsewhere though. Hiking boots, cowboy boots, and Birkenstocks are equally welcome in most of our restaurants including those that would be considered "fine dining" The Emerald Valley Cachers link provided in an earlier post is a great place to hook up with what I feel is a very nice cache community. Log into the forums and I am sure you will get some responses. :D

Thanks for the input...I understand the message clearly. Also, I have been reviewing the otehr websites posted and have asked a similar question on those forums, so they indeed were helpful.

I may be a new neighbor yet! :D

If you like where you live now, your family will really like Eugene. The caching community is more family oriented then some. There is a high cache density in Eugene and Springfield. They may be a bit harder than some areas and some are left neglicted when students go home. There are also some very evil hiders in the area. And if you don't like Eugene, just cross the river and live in Springfield that has a different attitude from Eugene.

If you like where you live now, your family will really like Eugene. The caching community is more family oriented then some. There is a high cache density in Eugene and Springfield. They may be a bit harder than some areas and some are left neglicted when students go home. There are also some very evil hiders in the area. And if you don't like Eugene, just cross the river and live in Springfield that has a different attitude from Eugene.

Evil caches?? Right up our alley!! We live in a concentrated area of very evil caches, so I think we will fit in quite well from that angle.

The more we look into it, the more it seems that we will be heading that way. We will be spending a week up there during the kids Christmas vacation to start some more detailed research.

THanks very much for the input. I knew the caching community would come through for us.