Good Price On A Magellan Meridian Gold...

Elfdelite

While cruising the interweb for deals I found this site (Midnightbox) selling a Magellan (980598-02) Meridian Gold GPS Receiver gps2.gif for 169.95 shipped.

I don't know much about this unit but it does seem like a "good deal."

If I have placed this topic in the wrong forum please move it to the proper one, if this is completely inappropriate feel free to remove it.

Hope this post helps some of you out, and happy hunting!

Looks like a weird site, so you might be taking a chance.

I've purchased a couple of items from this site before and have been very pleased, but that is only my personal experience.

I'm actually on the fence on this GPS unit; do any of you have an opinion on this specific unit? Right now I am using my PDA with a Bluetooth GPS for Geocaching, but I'd like to get a more rugged unit. Something I can let my 6 year old hold without worrying about her dropping or damaging, because once we get on the trail she seems to lose sight of all the branches, roots, rocks and twigs that always seem to trip her up. If not this unit then is there another one you'd recommend, keeping in mind that I already have the PDA/Bluetooth combo for my car so I wouldn't need any of that kind of functionality. I mostly would use it for Geocaching and the occasional boating or hiking trip.

It's a good all round unit. I used mined for over 3yrs before upgrading to the exp. 500. It has been around for about 4 years, so the technology is getting a little long in tooth, and I think that would be the main reason for not buying it.

Also some people think its a bit large and bulky, but I had no problems with the size I actually like the size of it over the explorist series.

Hope this helps :o

Looks like a weird site, so you might be taking a chance.

I've purchased a couple of items from this site before and have been very pleased, but that is only my personal experience.

I'm actually on the fence on this GPS unit; do any of you have an opinion on this specific unit? Right now I am using my PDA with a Bluetooth GPS for Geocaching, but I'd like to get a more rugged unit. Something I can let my 6 year old hold without worrying about her dropping or damaging, because once we get on the trail she seems to lose sight of all the branches, roots, rocks and twigs that always seem to trip her up. If not this unit then is there another one you'd recommend, keeping in mind that I already have the PDA/Bluetooth combo for my car so I wouldn't need any of that kind of functionality. I mostly would use it for Geocaching and the occasional boating or hiking trip.

Its a good unit for all your needs. There are many very loyal MeriGold users here. Good reception, expandable memory. Too large for me personally, but if that isn't an issue, go for it. I doubt you'll find a better deal than that.

I have a Meridian Marine. It is in the same product line. It is big. You are getting 16MB of memory and an SD slot. The buttons are spaced far enough apart if you have big hands. The screen is larger than some other GPSrs. If you are looking for a good price on a Magellan, I would suggest checking the local Radio Shack. My local store has a new Magellan SporTrack for $99.00. It has 2MB of memory and no SD.

I think you'll be pleased with this unit. Especially for the price. I had a plain old Meridian GPS. Some know it as the green or the yellow. It is/was the lowliest of the Meridian line. It was a good solid unit. And ruggid too. Then somebody stole it from me. But that's another story.

For the price that price, I think you be very happy with the Meridian Gold.

-Jeff

If you are looking for a good price on a Magellan, I would suggest checking the local Radio Shack. My local store has a new Magellan SporTrack for $99.00. It has 2MB of memory and no SD.

A while back a friend of mine bought a Meridian Platinum from Radio Shack. It was a returned unit but still brand new. Get this. He bought it for $29.

I'll go the opposite way regarding my MeriGold. I've found that it overshoots caches by 50 to as many as 80 feet. My friends (Garmin 60CS) will be standing at the cache while I'm back tracking. Very frustrated w/ my Magellan unit - will be switching to Garmin when this one is over and done.

The MeriGold however is very accurate when hiding caches... 6 of one 1/2 dozen of another.... I guess I'm just ready for a fancier GPS.