Durability Issues 60cs Vs 76cs?

dhbaird

Final questions before I purchase.

Is there any notable difference in durability between the 60cs and 76cs?

Is it worth getting the cases with the plastic screen covers? How susceptible are the screens to scratching?

Does one really do better in wet, submergable conditions (like canyoning and kayaking).

What cases and what car mounts do people recommend?

Thanks

See you on the trail!

Only dropped my 76CS once but it was onto rocks. No damage.

As for the plastic screen protectors I can tell you that the invisibleSHIELD is amazing. I put a horrible and deep scratch in mine and it never phased the actual screen. I'm talking about a scratch that would have ruined the screen without the invisibleSHIELD. This thing is NOT at all like the cheap ones you get for a pda that come in a ten pack or so. It costs $10.00 for one but it will save your screen from pretty much any type of scratch and carries a free lifetime replacement for the protector. If you scratch it up a bunch they will send you a replacement free and after you receive the replacement then you send back your trashed one. I'm a complete believer in the product. They have a demo video on their site that will blow you away.

NOTE: I have absolutely no connection with the invisibleSHIELD folks. I just endorse the product because a $10.00 screen protector saved my expensive GPSMAP 76CS.

The 60c or 60cs is very durable...however. I am not at all satisfied with the connector for the USB cable. It is flimsy at best and will eventually pull out of the back of the unit. Other than that it is the best out there.

I think the 60CS is an excellent GPS, but I agree that the USB connector is an apparent weakness. I purchased a new 60CS in July and I began having troubles with my PC recognizing the connection with the GPS about a month ago. Prior to recognizing the problem, I downloaded new drivers, made a variety of adjustments, but ultimately solved the problem due to a heads up from a forum responder who indicated I might have a loose USB connection in the GPS. After recognizing this, I called Garmin and they sent me an immediate RMA. They repaired my GPS by soldering the USB connection, so now all is well. I am not sure if this would be a similar problem with the 76. Good Luck!

Apostle Island :D

As for the plastic screen protectors I can tell you that the invisibleSHIELD is amazing. I put a horrible and deep scratch in mine and it never phased the actual screen. I'm talking about a scratch that would have ruined the screen without the invisibleSHIELD.

Thanks for the comment about InvisibleShield. I have not seen that listed as an accessory on the web sites I've been pricing. Where did you get yours?

How much do you load up on your 76C memory wise? Have you ever used the 60C? If so, how does it compare with speed of screen response etc? Is the processor faster or slower?

Finally, given the feed back on the USB connector in the 60c, how's the connectivity? Any problems?

Both units are very durable. I've had no problems yet with my 60CS's USB connection. Perhaps that's because I read early on that its a weakness so I've been very careful when inserting and taking out the cable. I've had the unit for over year now and still no problems with the connection.

The units are nearly identical internally (outside the 76CS's better basemap) so processor speeds are the same.

Because the 60CS's screen isn't recessed it can be subject to scratching. When I first purchased it, I cut down a PDA screen protector to cover the screen. After a while I bought Garmin's neoprene case. I didn't like that it covered the buttons, so I cut a hole in the plastic screen protector so I can access the buttons. I think the additional cushioning that the case provides is helpful.

After a while the plastic protector has gotten scratched and made the unit hard to read when in the car so I take it off while driving, but I can still read it fine through the protector while in the field. I guess its a matter of lighting. I've heard good things about InvisibleShield, so eventually I may just cut out the entire screen protector and buy one of those to protect it.

In the end it comes down to what is more important to you, the smaller size of the 60 or the additional memory of the 76. I chose the 60CS because of its smaller size and hand feel, but if more map memory is important, you can't go wrong with the 76C(S).

The car mount that I use for my 60CS is a simple cell phone button holder glued to my dashboard. It's worked great for over a year.

Edited by briansnat

Have had a 60cs for a year, no problems. Great unit.

As far as mounts or holders, I got a Garmin Suction mount for a Rino as it looked like the "Knob", would work with the Knob on my 60cs. It works great and adjusts for all three vehicles. It will hold the 60cs at an angle to reduce glare while I'm driving.

Edited by Bob and Dody
Where do you buy this invisible shield product? And is it really invisible? I've had a PDA screen protector on my 76CS, but took it off because it distorted the view.

You can get them from The invisible shield website. I had similar a experience with cheap screen protectors, but I bought an invisble shield for my 60cs and my Treo because of recommendations here. They are very clear and don't cause any distortion. On the 60cs they do change the way the screen looks slightly (they are slightly textured), but not like the cheap ones do. They don't hinder or blur the screen at all. It is completely unnoticeable (if that is a word) on my Treo.

The invisible shield website. I had similar a experience with cheap screen protectors, but I bought an invisble shield for my 60cs and my Treo because of recommendations here. They are very clear and don't cause any distortion. On the 60cs they do change the way the screen looks slightly (they are slightly textured), but not like the cheap ones do. They don't hinder or blur the screen at all. It is completely unnoticeable (if that is a word) on my Treo.

Ordered the shield. It arrives about the same time my new GPS does. Looking forward to getting out there in the field and see how this combination works.

Thanks