Researching Archived Caches

popop

Looked through many threads on "archived caches" but couldn't find the help I was really after.

I'm trying to discover the chronological history of geocaches both in my own state (Oregon) and overall within the GC.com umbrella. My initial reason has been to facilitate an interesting and factual description for a new cache I intend to place where an archived cache used to be. The original cache Arago Cliffs seemed to me a cache worth resurrecting because of finders' comments and it being one of the first (if not THE first) caches placed along the Oregon Coast. So I would like to be able say in the cache description that it was indeed the very first geocache place along the Oregon Coast. To know if this accurate I apparently have to use the GC.com mapping application (with "List Archived/Disabled Caches" and "Identify" boxes checked) and just start panning through the entire coast keeping track of placed dates. That took some time! It would also be nice to state that it was cache number "whatever" in the overall history of geocaching (on GC.com anyway).

Anyone know of an easier way to do this kind of historical research? I see no way to do this in PQ's in their current form.

I could just put the new cache out there without all the history but I think it makes for a much more interesting hunt/find experience. I know that I really enjoy hunting caches that have good stories behind them.

You're right. The geocaching maps are the only avenue for you to view archived caches.

The other option, with a project like yours, is to simply contact a cache reviewer. My understanding is that they have access to all the archived caches. You could explain what you're trying to do, and he or she might be willing to help you out with some information.

Jamie

You're right. The geocaching maps are the only avenue for you to view archived caches.

The other option, with a project like yours, is to simply contact a cache reviewer. My understanding is that they have access to all the archived caches. You could explain what you're trying to do, and he or she might be willing to help you out with some information.

Jamie

Jamie's right. I just peeked at the Oregon cache list, and there's only five archived caches that are older than the one which the OP links to. None of them appear to be on the coast. In my research, I skipped Dave Ulmer's caches because he zeroed out the coordinates.

EDIT TO ADD: The oldest caches are listed here.

Edited by Keystone
I just peeked at the Oregon cache list, and there's only five archived caches that are older than the one which the OP links to.  None of them appear to be on the coast.

Thanks Keystone, for the "peek" and the link. Thanks also to Jamie Z and Lil Devil for your confirmation and comments. Twas helpful.

My question is pretty well answered but I think I will leave the thread open a few more hours in case someone wants to chime in.

Thanks again all

Edited for spelling

Edited by popop
Archived caches are hidden for a reason. IMO they shouldn't even be available via the mapping function, but that's a loophole TPTB have chose to keep open. Be happy you have that.

What is your thinking behind that? In some cases it would be a huge benifit to be able to see archived caches. In the cases where they shouldn't be visible, well... for at least one reason I can think of, not even approvers should have access. But that would be rare.

Edited by Renegade Knight