Stop!

Sorry. I know this has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads; and the people who keep them will probably never read the thread, but keeping them is just so wrong.

Granted, some of these Jeeps dissapear due to ignorant cache visitors who take it as a trade or perhaps they are muggles. But this cannot account for so many Jeeps dissapearing, as it doesn't happen all too frequently to regular TB's.

Finding my first Jeep was awesome. I waited until one came close, that did not have the almost obligatory "No Jeep in Cache" logs on the page. And grabbed it. I made sure to get it back out for the public as soon as possible...Then what happens? STOLEN. Not even a week after I dropped it someone logged to say there was no Jeep in the cache.

Seriously, it is so lame, I can't get over it.

These Jeeps belong to the Jeep company. They are to be enjoyed by geocachers. They are a really fun and highly sought item. Taking them really deprives others. Whether it is for a souvenier or not, a picture should be good enugh.

Especially the White Jeeps that have still been active in competition. I really don't understand holding onto them or never placing them, especially those whom were specifically given Jeeps to release to the public who never released some.

Anyways, sorry to rant, but it is frustrating...

As far as holding them I wish the contest goals didn't require that you hang on to the Jeep for the time it takes to either set up a photo or in this month's contest even paint it. I think by finding and logging a WJTB should automatically enter you in the contest.

But this has probably been covered before, sorry I can't read over all the posts before commenting.

It's likely that some of the jeeps reported stolen were actually kept by the person who claims they dropped it into a cache. Then they simply blame the next person at the cache for stealing it. Of course that likely isn't the case in all or even most of the incidents but I would be it is the case in some of them.

I've only found one White Jeep and I moved it from California to Montana. It sat there in the cache for almost a month but someone has finally picked it up and is moving it along.

Edited by thrak

You've probably heard this answer before, it's been said so many times. It's how some people feel, although many don't agree. Sometimes it just needs to be said and I just had to get it off my chest. Because I mean come'on, Ya know?

Edit: Clarification.

Edited by BlueDeuce
The first "Jeep" TB I found was without a jeep too. So I went and I bought a new jeep for this TB. They didn't have a yellow one like the original, so I got a red one :unsure:. Will place it in a cache to continue its journey (with a new jeep).

I moved along a Pink Jeep not long ago. It was one of the original Yellow Jeeps but someone had painted it pink. Ewwwwww.......

Edited by thrak
. I really don't understand holding onto them or never placing them, especially those whom were specifically given Jeeps to release to the public who never released some.

Just to defend the releasers the jeeps may show as in thier hands but what if they gave the jeeps out but the next person never picked them up ??.

They should when the competition is over allow people to buy jeep TB's from the shop the collectors and souvenier hunters could then own them legitimately.

I also don't like the "generous" people who graciously allow you to log the jeeps they are holding then never release them they belong to Jeep. ;)B)

I concur completely.

I found one White Jeep this summer, but every other cache I sought where they were listed came up empty. I missed finding one by a few minutes and later learned that the guy who got it had already logged eight White Jeeps finds. I also met a cacher AT a cache who had one in his possession for quite a while, but refused to drop it off and allow me to log it. He claimed he would only drop it in a cache when and if he found another one.

I call both guys jeep hogs.

The I finally found another one yesterday - the day AFTER the contest closed. It figures. I'm tempted to keep the thing, I really am. (No, I won't, but I'm sure tempted!)