Multicache Photo's

Jonovich

Hi folks,

What are your views about including photos of multi cache locations in the log of your find? I did a couple of caches at the weekend (including Hills & Holes, GCEA49) and after logging them and uploading pictures I suddenly realised that although the pictures were not detailed, they did give an idea of the locations of the micro caches I solved. I know there is a disclaimer on the GC site that the pictures may include spoilers, but wondered if there were any un-written rules about including them?

Thanks

Jon.

Provided the pictures don't give away the location of the waypoint ie where the next micro is hidden I can see no problem. On the other hand if the waypoint is an information board or similar where you get next location from dates etc. then I think this may be a problem. At the end of the day we just need to think about what we are posting an use a little bit of common sense.

Thanks for that... I think I should be ok then. Although the pictures I've uploaded were of the Micro locations, they were purposely not specific... I.E. A Gate, a Tree, all could be anywhere (no landmarks included) and I put them in as lo-res (320x240) images so it's not possible to zoom in and read text on plaques, signs etc...

What made me think there may be a problem is I've noticed on some caches, when i look in the gallery at the thumbnail pictures, when I click on them to see them in full I'm just returned to the main cache page - as if the cache owner had removed the link? Or is it just the pictures are no longer on geocaching.com?

Cheers & thanks again for the info!

J

What made me think there may be a problem is I've noticed on some caches, when i look in the gallery at the thumbnail pictures, when I click on them to see them in full I'm just returned to the main cache page - as if the cache owner had removed the link? Or is it just the pictures are no longer on geocaching.com?

I've noticed this as well. I think (may well be wrong) that is the image has been posted by the owner (spoiler or just an interesting picture) then it links back to the cache page, and you have to click on the list of images above the logs. If the pic is posted by a logger, then it should open up in its own window.

HTH

Dave

I believe PP's Dave has it right. You should see the links to any picture which bumps you back to the main page on that page, just above the logs.

As for whether a picture is a problem or not, that's up to the cache owner. I tend to drop them an email about any shot I'm concerned about, or include a note like 'Possible spoiler pic below - If the owner would like me to remove it I will' when I log the cache.

SP

SpoilerSync looks for the text 'spoiler' in the photo description.

Only photos with that text are download for use on a PDA.

bearing that in mind, and the warning about the chance of discovering a spoiler in the logs or gallery, I'd post your pics.

Add the text 'spoiler' to a photo if you think it is.

Edited by kevenh
Personally this is why I never read the logs or look at the uploaded photos before going out.

Personally, I always do a little research before setting out and read some previous logs.

If nothing else, it gives me an idea of how long it took previous cachers to locate the cache, and so can plan my expedition accordingly.

Jon