Downloading Waypoints

Geocvl

I did not get any drivers with the serial/usb adaptor.  Should i have?

No. It does not require drivers to use EasyGPS

My pc just does not recognise the connection on any of its usb ports.  It is winXP home

I'm not familiar with the Etrex Venture but most GPSrs connect with serial connections. A problem I had setting up EasyGPS initially was the BAUD (bits/sec) rate. I was trying to set it higher because the computer was capable and the GPSr said it was capable. For some reason it wouldn't work. When I finally used the default of 4000 everything began working. I will say it worked erratically at the higher setting and yours seems to be doing nothing at all. If your unit uses serial connection the chances are your problem is in the Comm Port configuration.

Edited by Thot
I did not get any drivers with the serial/usb adaptor.

IF the serial/USB adapter is part of GPS "package" from GPS manufacturer, there should have been a disk with drivers included in GPS package when you bought it.

IF Serial/USB adapter is a third party cable you bought separate from GPS unit, there should have been drivers in package with cable. Generally on a CD-ROM. It usually necessary to load Serial/USB driver before you plug in cable for first time...

With out drivers Serial/USB cable is just a "paperweight"....

If you don't have the drivers for Serial/USB cable check manufacturers website to see if they have them online and that you can download them.

Dale

Hi I believe the software is set up OK. I did not get any drivers with the serial/usb adaptor. Should i have? My pc just does not recognise the connection on any of its usb ports. It is winXP home

yeah, I had the same problem with a usb/serial adapter. I thought it kind of funny that the manufacters did have the diver either, almost like they expect you to have it. I actually had to find the driver somewhere else than the manufacturers site. What make/model do you have?

do you use mapsource? If you do, use a tool like GSAK to convert the loc files to mapsourse files.

Not anymore!

The current version of MapSource, a beta one, opens up .loc files without additional software "interference". But you can only open "virgin" .loc files. That it, if you save a .loc file with EasyGPS, MapSource will not open it; I've tried. Don't know about GSAK created .loc files.

Hi I believe the software is set up OK. I did not get any drivers with the serial/usb adaptor. Should i have? My pc just does not recognise the connection on any of its usb ports. It is winXP home

Carol, I had this same problem 2 weeks ago, with my new Vista C. The GPS might as well not even exist as far as the computer was concerned. I DID get the drivers and had loaded them, it's just that Windows 98 needed to be "pushed around" to get it to recognize them.

Now, your base problem isn't going to be the same since you're on XP, but what worked as a solution for me should work for you too. And that is,

CALL GARMIN TECH SUPPORT.

I gritted my teeth and did it, expecting an hour wait, a non-english speaking tech, and an attitude that I was just bothering them SOOO much. What I got instead was a 4 minute hold time, a Kansas City resident who geocaches, who understood when I told him I was a computer moron, and who led me by the hand through fixing the problem I had in the first place, and then LED ME THROUGH THE WHOLE MAP INSTALL PROCESS JUST BECAUSE I WAS CHICKEN.

My experience was absolutely awesome, and I can't say enough about it.

Thank goodness for tech support like that.

Call them, and see if they can't help you out.