Scratches On Gpsr Screen

loungelions

While geocaching on a rock slide, I managed to gouge my screen a bit. Does anyone know how to get gouges out? Would clear nail polish work or maybe one of those CD scratch removal liquids? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not really sure how to get rid of them. There are some polishing pastes for cell phone which might work.

However, I would recommend to buy some of the protection foils which are used for the PDAs. They are a little pricy, but well worth the money. I have it one it for a couple of month now and as soon as the foil is damage I can replace it with a new one :ph34r: So no damage on the screen anymore and the scratches which were one it before are covered with the foil so you don't see it anymore.

If the scratch is deep enough so you can feel it with your fingernail, it's probably there to stay :ph34r: If you want to risk trying some clear nail polish or "CD repair" stuff,., then proceed with caution.

If you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail, then try a soft cloth & some toothpaste. Very GENTLY rub circular swirls around the scratch & it may either dissapear or at least reduce in size.. however again, proceed at your own risk! (this could make things worse :ph34r: )

My 315 suffered a slam dunk in to the gravel a few years back as well :ph34r:

I used Brasso metal polish and managed with some elbow grease to make it not as bad to look at it. I regulary polish the screen to get rid of small scratches and such. The last time I grabbed the Silvo polish as it was the first one I came across in the cupboard. WOW one pass and the screen was like new. Just a dab on a cloth and rub as hard as you can over the scratch and blending out along the edges you should be able to minimize the gouge. Hope this helps, let us know the outcome if you try this. :ph34r:Silvo

Edited by MercRocks

I'd have to agree with a couple of other posters here. Once you do whatever you end up doing to "fix" the scratch invest the $10 in an InvisibleShield. You will never regret buying one.

Here is a cut and paste from the "testimonials" page of the company. It is part of a post I made here in another thread and they contacted me and asked if they could use it on their web site.

[begin cut and paste]

"I put a truly horrendous scratch in my GPS that would have utterly ruined the screen and the invisibleSHIELD protected the screen. No ordinary PDA screen protector would have saved my unit. $10 saved a GPSMAP 76CS - a very cheap save indeed! - - Thrak

[End cut and paste]

This is NOT one of those cheap PDA screen protectors. It's an entirely different type of material that gives protection far, far superior to other products.

I sent mine in under warranty since a button stopped working an another had torn apart. Garmin fixed all that, but also replaced all the external parts of my 60CS so all the scratches went away and I had a mostly new unit. If you can send it in under warranty you might get the same result.