60cs External Antenna

daugenet

If it's the right angle plug, many are having problems and must use pliars. I put a very small drop of electrical contact cleaner on the jack, and carefully removed and attached the plug over and over with a pair of needlenose pliars. I can now remove it with my fingers but it is still tight.

I don't think it's a design problem with the 60... it's more with the standard right-angle MCS connector like Gilsson uses.

Don't use oil to try to make this easier. Oil may deteriorate the rubber cover and will attract dirt.

Yes, its a tight fit on mine. I have the 90° connector on mine, and I kind of rotate the connector around the socket which forces the connector against a higher area of the body of the GPSr, which forces the connector out. It's probably NOT the best way to do it, but I've had good luck with that method so far.

It is a 90 degree glisson connector. I was just trying to make sure I wasnt doing something wrong and I am not the only one. I will try the contact cleaner. I guess I can pick some up at radio shack? Both are new and right out of the box so I expected them to be snug but not so that I needed to use pliars :huh:

On a side note if anyone is looking to order a glisson antenna make sure you go through the ebay store as it is about $20 cheaper than their online store.

Not seeing one of the connectors, ....could you not file/sand down the inside of plug a little??

Yes you can. I used a very, very fine emery paper on the outside surface of the 90° connector (male). I wouldn't try to do it on the inside of the unit's socket. This worked well which was on an unknown make connector adaptor. My other external, a Gillson, is snug but easily removed in comparison and did not need any abrasive polishing.

Olar

no i mean here is the diff

gilsson website $50

$19 here + shipping

I got mine in about 2 days. They ship the same day too which was pretty nice. I wish I had been home to receive it but I was up in Norfolk working on a ship :rolleyes: Only reason I knew to look for one for about this much was b/c someone else had posted getting one on ebay.

Oh yeah I tried the rotating of the connector to help to loosen it and that worked.....though I am sure that is not the recomended method either :huh:

Edited by daugenet