Fall Colours Report

northernpenguin

Well, the glorious colours of autumn have already started here in Southern Ontario.

I'd like to get a thread going that identifies some of the "hot spots" for viewing the colours.

This is my favorite time of the year to be out on the hiking trails, and this goes hand-in-hand with geocaching. I'm sure some people would like to plan some caching adventures around the fall colour hotspots.

Down in my neck of the woods (Georgetown, Ontario) the trees are just starting to turn - barely. I'm sure that farther north, like Algonquin is already showing some colour. In a few weeks the caching around Forks of the Credit and Hilton Falls should be pretty interesting.

I'll add a plug for one of our JARS' geocaches, it's a great spot for viewing Fall colours

I was actually going to mention this cache in reply to the OP, but there was my name in a reply already!

If you were to check out my geocaching pages you would see that I use this very picture to head up the section.

I concur that this is an amazing spot, and it is a quick stop, too. While in the area, check out some of the other caches that are among my favourite for fall caching.

J.A.R.S.: Please make a post to this thread when this area starts to peak. I will watch the topic, because we plan to come back to do the Keyhole Caves cache which is new since last fall.

I will also post when my two Willow Creek ravine caches start to peak. There are always brilliant colours in that area.

There's been a lot of talk recently about the delay in the Fall colour's arrival.

Northern Penguin shares the same love of this time of year that I do, this is the best time for caching IMHO.

I also clicked on danoshimano's link to his page, and was thrilled to see his selection of Whitewater Wonder in Mindon... that cache is defintiely in my top 10, if not 5... great great cache.

For what it's worth, when we were at the Cache-In Event last year, in October, we had just missed the change.

Here, in Niagara, the change hasn't started yet.

Cannot wait... love it!

Good thread!

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

This topic sounds like a good potential for "Waymarking". The category could be "Fall Colour Hot Spots" and the waymarks could be updated each year to show an expected date for the leaves peaking or a date range based on years past.

My personal favourite is at the top of the ski hill at Hockley Valley Resort which overlooks the Caledon Hills. I believe the Bruce Trail goes near the top.

Cheers, Olar

This topic sounds like a good potential for "Waymarking". The category could be "Fall Colour Hot Spots" and the waymarks could be updated each year to show an expected date for the leaves peaking or a date range based on years past.

My personal favourite is at the top of the ski hill at Hockley Valley Resort which overlooks the Caledon Hills. I believe the Bruce Trail goes near the top.

Cheers, Olar

That sounds pretty cool. I've been mainly ignoring Waymarking.com until Jeremy gets that site finished. But Waymarking the fall colours sounds like a nifty idea to me.

Flight back report:

Calgary -- peak or just past peak.

Qu'appelle Valley (Regina -> Winnipeg) -- lots of yellow from the air. Quite scenic from 30,000 feet actually.

Ontario -- well it was dark at this point so all I can say is "lots of pretty lights" :P

Pleased to say our colours in the Algonquin Highlands are well under way. I'd expect a peak in time for the Thanksgiving holiday week-end (Oct 8-10 in Canada!). However the earlier drought this year in this region, brought many maples into their crimson hue, earlier. There are plenty left to round out the palette. The bown and yellow oaks, beech, birch, larch and hop hornbeam are mixed well with the conifers.