Category Proposal:

Dont agree with the restriction of the word 'military' as there are starter cannons, cermonial cannons, decorative cannon types all around the world. Some were never shot in anger.

One concern would be for a cannon park. I know of several that have over 10 different size cannons all within 500', so what would we do for that? Maybe have the waymark inclusive of any cannons within 550' from the center point?

Maybe the category could be "Things that go Boom!' and sub categories could be Ship Cannon; Shore Cannon; Howitzer; Artillery piece; Railgun; Launcher; Other.....

I have the same idea some days ago!

I love cannons and howitzers, but there aren't the same thing.

Elburto, I think that a more convenient name of the category must be "Artllery pieces"

And possible variables should be:

Calibre:

tube length

max. cadenza shots per minute

max reach.

projectile initial speed

projectile weight

weight

Sort of ammunition

Edited by garri

I have to agree with Garri, Cannon’s and Howitzers is not the same thing, but you can rest assured there will be folks that will confuse them.

There is a certain romance in connection with cannons.

Most folks have no idea what size of round, or projectile speed, or range; nor do they want to. They check them out because they are cool. :ph34r:

I don’t want this category to be too complicated. I can see that other Pieces such as Howitzers, Tanks, and Guns should belong in a separate Category. I also have no doubt that Cannons in them selves would completely fill a category on their own.

I like tiki-4’s input on sub categories, ship cannons, shore cannons. We could even have subs that define curtain wars, or eras. And yes this category would include all cannons, military or not.

Dont agree with the restriction of the word 'military' as there are starter cannons, cermonial cannons, decorative cannon types all around the world. Some were never shot in anger.

Yes, I can accept that. And I could add circus cannons. Anyway, my idea was to include objects like tanks and other "militaria" stuff on this category, but if it's Cannons or Artillery or whatever words choosen to give a shape to the original idea, I vote YES.