Need Help (and Suggestions) For A Gs Event

gsguru

Good afternoon,

As many of you already know, I bleed GS green... I am organizing an Older Girl event within our Service Unit that pertains to geocaching, map reading and compass reading. This is probably going to be an overnight event at one of the local (Willis, Tx) camps and is geared towards girls ages 11 and up.

Now, to my need for help... I need input from the geocaching community as to the easiest and funnest way to present this.

Look forward to your suggestions.

gsguru

divide the girls into a couple of teams, and let them name their team and create a flag for it.

collect the flags and hide them around their camp, loading coords into enough gps units for each team to have for use on event day.

teams start at the same time, in a race to find a flag(s) preloaded into the team gps units.

they can be either "rescuing" their own flag, capturing a specific opponant team's flag, or racing to grab as many flags as possible.

incorporating an element of orienteering, such as projecting waypoints to a given distance at a given bearing, would be another good addition.

you could create a multi-cache, with the girls using some sort of fact sheet to solve puzzles or answer questions you give them on some topic you've been working on.

Be sure to have each girl get a chance to find a flag or what ever you are hiding. If all your doing is following behind the person with the unit, you miss half the fun. Maybe a tag team where one goes out and gets a cache bucket and comes back, the next then gets the unit and goes out and finds one. Best to send them out in twos but each must control the unit once. It will help them explain it to the team mates who are having trouble and nothing helps you learn better and feel part of a team, than teaching each other.

I had a GS troop from the time they were in Kindergarten until they were in high school--

Have several ammo can sized caches hidden around camp.

Have official girl scout trinkets in the caches for trading (or girl-approved stuff like hair goodies, etc).

Have each girl bring one trinket from home to trade out (new in package, under $1 etc).

As they go from cache to cache they can trade our as they like--in the end everyone goes home with something different than what they came with

(or, in the end they can donate the goodies to a local shelter for a service project).

Edited by Team Neos
I had a GS troop from the time they were in Kindergarten until they were in high school--

Have several ammo can sized caches hidden around camp.

Have official girl scout trinkets in the caches for trading (or girl-approved stuff like hair goodies, etc).

Have each girl bring one trinket from home to trade out (new in package, under $1 etc).

As they go from cache to cache they can trade our as they like--in the end everyone goes home with something different than what they came with

(or, in the end they can donate the goodies to a local shelter for a service project).

Everyone has great ideas, keep em coming.

Our Service Unit last night was great, the reception to the idea went over well. Hopefully, this will be an event that will get a few more people into caching.

Thanks again

gsguru