Garmin Introduces The Nüvi

allory

Looks like a pretty cool toy. Sure does cost a pretty penny though... :D

I don't understand the advantage of this thing over the Windows Mobile or Palm PC based units Garmin sells.  It's certainly more expensive so there's apparently some advantage.

A few differences noted below:

High-sensitivity integrated GPS receiver by SiRF

Text-to-Speech — unit prompts you to “Turn right on Main St” instead of “Turn right in 500 feet”

Traffic alerts with optional GTM 10 FM TMC traffic receiver*

Offers a three dimensional mapping perspective, or 2-D overhead view

Edited by Neo_Geo

looks neat. very pricy toy though. but considering it comes with city select v7 pre-loaded that's $100 on the price right there (now i wonder if you can upgrade it when the time comes and how much that will cost).

would i blow $1k for it to go geocaching? no. for driving, maybe, but i already have a 60cs that works just fine.

being a brand new unit with new technology/software running it. i'd say wait for version 1.5 or something after all the bugs are worked out.

still, a nice look at things to come..

now that name, ugh.. WTF were they thinking? nuvi?

Based on price comparisons of the Streetpilot 2620 and 2720 MSRP and street price (both MSRP >$1K but sell on the web for ~$750-$850), the actual street price should be ~$550-650 (the Nuvi has a similar MSRP as the C330 and Quest 2, which both sell for the street price listed above).

While still high, this is not the much more than a PPC, BT reciever and Navigation software (actually probably a little less). Nonetheless, total functionality of the Nuvi will be lower than a PPC combo.

Don