Help A Newbie/ 76 Cs Plus

biomed50

I am looking at a 76 plus. It says West Marine by Garmin. Anyone know anything about it? Is it good? I want to use it to cache and on my boat. Does it have the same memory as the 76 CS Also, how do you set up your quote for the forum?

It appears to be a 76cs with a slightly different set of firmware features customized for West Marine. The same thing was done with the eTrex Venture that was sold by West Marine as the 'Mariner' with a different color case and a more marine-oriented database.

I suspect the main purpose for the custom versions is that it allows West Marine to sell a model with a slightly different name and feature set and therefore avoid direct price competition from other dealers. The memory and other hardware characteristics appear to be the same as for the normal 76cs. Unless you *really* need or want the new and modified features I'd recommend shopping for the normal 76cs where there are more dealers to choose from.

I just went to the West Marine website and it does indeed have the 76CS Plus listed. Im sure its a great unit but their price of $549.99 is just too high! :lol:

That is a very high price. I looked at their website and they're selling the old 76S (greyscale, 24 megs of map memory) for $399 which is about what you can find the 76CS for if you shop around. $549 is ridiculious, so I guess my memory served me well.