Help Wanted

Longfram Kev

I use ntl as my ISP and they give you space to upload your own web page.

I used "Front Page" to design my page but when I went to upload it I got a message to say that ntl does not support "FrontPpage".

Does anybody use or know what I can use to create a web page that can be uploaded to ntl??

I know a little about computer jargon but plain English would be a great help.

many thanks in advance.

Sensei TSKC Posted on Sep 4 2005, 09:11 AM

Quite simply, once you have created your pages, you can upload using an FTP program like TurboFTP. I use this and have ntl as a service proder.

If you want to know hot to set it up, I will send you my settings so you can insert your own.

It's easy but you need to get the prog first.

Oss! 

Thanks, where do I get the program from, is it downladable or do I have to buy it ??

if you have trouble ftp'ing your html files to your ntl web space try setting your ftp client to "passive mode".

i use macromedia dreamweaver to design my pages (would be expensive to buy but i have access to it through work) and it has a built in ftp facility, which refused to play nicely when uploading to my ntl web space until i tried it in passive mode.

how you actually set it to passive will depend on what client you use.

;)

The reason some ISP's don't like Frontpage is because it utilises 'extensions' certain scripts that run and try to automatically correct possible errors.

The problem lies where in some instances, the MS extensions recognise legitimate html / javascript etc as errors and tries to correct it. On correcting it, the page doesn't load as the user intended. Plus the ISP has to be 'Frontpage' enabled.

If your site uses FrontPage extensions, then there may be a problem. However, if you;re just using FrontPage as a convenient way of authoring 'vanilla' HTML then that should be fine.

If you don't want to mess around with FTP clients (personally I'd recommend WS-FTP), then you can (if you're using a more recent version of Windows) set up your ISP's web server through "My Network Places". Uploading files is then as simple as dragging and dropping between windows on your desktop.