So What's New In The Maps?

Parsa

I noticed that maps has been "updated", but what exactly happened?

Also, any chance that found caches might be completely turned off on a map?

I have about 1800 finds and any caches on there that I have not found are obscured by a plethora of check boxes (and the cache symbols under them).

It's getting really hard to use the maps to seek out new unfound caches. I have to keep hitting identify in order to make the caches stand out from the ones that I've already found.

... oh and the question marks don't seem to like check marks at all.

Parsa

No, that removes the check marks but does not remove the caches, which is what the OP is asking for, I think.

But the ability to completely remove found caches is not available...and may never be. It's been asked for numerous times, but the method of calculating the map displays makes this impractical.

Edited by beejay&esskay
There's another check box under the map that removes the found caches. The check on the map will stay until you uncheck it in the legend. It's a two-step process.

That still doesn't remove them from the map. The second check just stops them from being identified in the list below the map.

I think if you can remove cache types from the map we should also be able to remove cache finds from the map, but this is a low priority I'm sure.

I think if you can remove cache types from the map we should also be able to remove cache finds from the map, but this is a low priority I'm sure.

I don't even think it's on the list of things to do.

Every selection on the right side is a map layer. It's simple to display or not display any combination of map layers.

Building an individual layer of check marks for found caches for each premium member is doable...so that's why that's there.

Building a complete set of map layers for not-founds for every premium member is not doable...which is why that's not going to happen no matter how many times it's requested.

If you can think of a better way to show unfound caches only, Jeremy would probably like to hear it. But with the current design of showing this map, it doesn't seem possible.

Every selection on the right side is a map layer. It's simple to display or not display any combination of map layers.

Building an individual layer of check marks for found caches for each premium member is doable...so that's why that's there.

Building a complete set of map layers for not-founds for every premium member is not doable...which is why that's not going to happen no matter how many times it's requested.

If you can think of a better way to show unfound caches only, Jeremy would probably like to hear it. But with the current design of showing this map, it doesn't seem possible.

Well there you go. It's just more trouble to do than it's worth.

How about adding a new symbol layer that works just like the check marks? If, instead of the check box, the symbol was a square the same color as the map background, wouldn't that effectively make the found caches disappear?

How about adding a new symbol layer that works just like the check marks? If, instead of the check box, the symbol was a square the same color as the map background, wouldn't that effectively make the found caches disappear?

What if there was a road or a word behind the cache symbol, not just a solid color? Figuring that out and making it a new symbol to overlay the cache would probably take more time than it's worth.

Doing a DB check each time a layer is built would probably be the best way, but that sounds like a waste of resources.

I can uncheck a box to make virtual symbols disappear from the map.

I can uncheck a box to make mystery caches disappear from the map.

I can check a box to display found caches.

Why can't I uncheck it to have it not show the found caches (instead of just making the check disappear)? I've never found the caches that I've already found very useful on the map. Maybe if I'm going with a neophyte relative or something, but how often does that happen? All it does for me now is to say "gee whiz, I've found a lot of geocaches, ooh ahh."

Listen, as the years go by, more and more of you are going to face this issue. What happenes in a few years when you have 5000 checked boxes on your county map? Are you going to see the ones you haven't found?

Right now I have to plot them in National Geographic Topo from PQs, but that takes quite a few steps. I understand the servers are taxed now, and that this adds another layer of complexity, but it would be a really really useful feature.

Parsa

I noticed that maps has been "updated", but what exactly happened?

1. Software update from the vendor to fix some bugs.

2. International map data and update from the mapping vendor for US based maps.

Also any chance that found caches might be completely turned off on a map?

No. Not at this time. Unchecking the checkbox that shows found caches will filter them out using the identify link. Also PQs and desktop applications work well with locating unfound caches. You can even drag GPX files onto Google Earth which is free.

What if there was a road or a word behind the cache symbol, not just a solid color? Figuring that out and making it a new symbol to overlay the cache would probably take more time than it's worth.

Doing a DB check each time a layer is built would probably be the best way, but that sounds like a waste of resources.

The check boxes on the map already cover words and roads.

No. Not at this time. Unchecking the checkbox that shows found caches will filter them out using the identify link. Also PQs and desktop applications work well with locating unfound caches. You can even drag GPX files onto Google Earth which is free.

Fair enough, as long as we know it's something that you can't do right now. I think having the answer "sorry, we just can't do it at this time" is understandable. I just hope folks can see why it would be useful.

Thanks for the reply Jeremy.

Parsa