New To The Sport, Need Advice.

Splintz

Hello everyone. Im completely new to the sport and I would like some advice on a few things. How new you ask? I dont even have a GPS system, which brings me to my first question.

1. Which GPS system would be most recommended for use in the $100-$300 range? Keep in mind I live in Canada, and if anyone in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario reads this, where would it be best to buy one?

2. I am currently aware there is software for the PDA to aid a GeoCacher, is there any particular software I could get for my PDA which is free?

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking forward to my first hunt once I get to the city. Thanks for your time.

Hi there Splintz I cache & live just north of Toronto Ontario, welcome to the hobby/sport/obsession :(

Check out GPScity Canada for some good prices on products, there are quite a few good ones to be had if your budget ceiling is around $300. Now keep in mind though,, does that $100-300 range mean to also include PC software? That can be a noticeable extra expense. Many GPSr's come with builtin basemaps, but depending on your needs the basemaps may not be enough, and enhanced maps aren't free.

Do you have other forseen needs of a GPS? They're quite versitile and once you have one you'd be amazed how suddenly "handy & indespensible" one of the little critters becomes lol. And yes, what type of PDA are you seeking software for?

Edited by IVxIV

I guess I failed to mention a few more details in my questions, so here is a recap and responses.

My PDA is Palm based. I own a Zire 31 (Need to upgrade :wub: ). As for the budget, the range doesnt have to include PC software, but if it enhances and/or increases the effeciancy of my system it doesnt have to be within the budget. The $100-$300 range is more of a guideline for my spending, so if a better system is above the cost there is no problem with me on spending a few more bucks.

As for my GPS use, I do have other uses for it rather than just GeoCaching (although it is enough to make one buy it just for that particular use :( ) I am an avid outdoorsman so a GPS would be very useful to me.

Thanks for the info IVxIV, I'll be keeping the site and advice in mind. Thanks for everyone's time.

As for my GPS use, I do have other uses for it rather than just GeoCaching. I am an avid outdoorsman so a GPS would be very useful to me.

Being that you are an outdoorsmen, I recommend a mapping unit running the mfr's topo software. If you're anything like me, compact size is also important.

That being said, the Garmin Legend C (not the regular Legend) is a nice fit. Its in your price range and is a great little unit. Using Mapsource Topo with it will give you wide map coverage in the unit's 24 megs.

If size isn't important, consider something like the Lowrance iFinder H20. Its a pretty good deal if you get the H20 Plus package, which includes the Mapcreate Topo mapping software and a card reader (it uses a card reader rather than a cable that most GPS units use).

Not sure what the map coverage is for Canada with each of those packages, so check the mfr's website.

I agree with the garmin e trex legend C. I have used this little guy for about a year now and I absolutely love it. The color screen is not required for caching, it wont get you there any straighter or faster, but man is it nice to look at. :wub:

I also purchased the USA Topo program from Garmin and the topo maps are very helpful. I will often have trails or other landmarks that my friend does not have on his GPS unit. :(

To address your questions about your PDA, the Zire 31 will be fine (no need to upgrade). When I went paperless I was pointed to cachemate, and it was some of the best advice I received. It isn't free, but it's only $7 or $8, and sooooo worth it.

Oh, and I agree with the GPS units recommended so far in this thread. I just got my Legend C less than a week ago and it is great. I don't have the mapping software for it yet, but with City Select it can auto-route. Before I received the unexpected gift of the Legend C, I was considering upgrading to the iFinder H2O on my own. I've only heard good things about both units.

I would 2nd the recommendation for the Lowance iFinder H2O. At that website it is just $250, so after tax and shipping it should be at your door for just under your $300 CDN budget.

The nice thing is, you can use it right out of the box for Geocaching & it will work just fine. The builtin basemap is relatively basic, in Canada it will just show you lakes rivers shorelines etc. No road data at all for Canada in the basemap, but is better than nothing (much better than a blank screen lol). Later after you wallet has cooled off a bit you can grab either the MapCreate TOPO software for PC and create your own nicely detailed enhanced maps, OR with Lowrance you can instead buy a FreedomMaps TOPO cartridge. Insert into the GPS and have immediate rich TOPO detail of your whole area. Either way is win-win, Lowrance TOPO detail quality is very good.

For Palm PDA software I have heard of people using Plucker and Spinner with good success, and I believe those are free. I decided to use Cachemate with my Palm PDA though, and while it isn't free, for around $10 it is very nice software! And if you upgrade to a newer/better Palm PDA the software should transplant just fine. See it here!

Edited by IVxIV

As far as your PDA goes the Zire 31 is more than you'll ever need for caching as was already mentioned. I wanto to second the recommendation for Cachemate. Also check out GSAK. I tried the spinner/Plucker method and found it somewhat cumbersome. With GSAK and cachemate I can have my GPS and PDA both loaded up with 500 caches in a matter of about 5 minutes or so. Welcome to the addiction. :(

Wow, thats a lot of information. Thanks everyone for your advice, I will look into finding either the Garmin Legend C or the Lowance iFinder H20. I am hoping to get a free program for my PDA but if the cachemate is as good as I heard (and I heard a lot of good things about it) I will absolutely buy it :D

Im greatly anticipating my first hunt, cant wait to reach those caches. Thanks again everyone for the advice, it was really helpful.