New To Gpsr

Oatway

I'm new to GPS and Geocaching.. buying my first receiver this weekend.

With the eTrex Legend can you connect to your PC with a USB cable and transfer data to your PC to free up space on the receiver? If so, what type of file would it be on my PC, and what software would I need to open/use the information. Or is the USB cable used just to transfer data (Maps) to the receiver?

Thanks for the help!

Oatway

The standard Legend does not support USB, only serial. Using a serial cable (or a serial to USB converter) you can download tracks and waypoints to your PC, freeing up more space for more waypoints and tracks. You cannot free up more space for map memory (8mb in the standard Legend).

Thanks a lot for your help!. (I knew that the Legend only used Serial, I've just been looking at so many numbers and acronyms this week researching the different choices out there that my brain's going numb!!! Can't wait to get the hard part over with and on to the fun part - geocaching!)

I connect my Legend to my computer through a serial connection and download waypoints, tracks, etc. into a .gdb file using Garmin Mapsource Metroguide software. One could also use EasyGPS or similar programs but without the on-screen mapping capabilities. Using EasyGPS the files will be .loc or .gpx types.

Hi Oatway,

Oh, you are going to enjoy thus journey a whole lot. I am also still new at the geocaching game and learn something ever day. Also have a look at the Garmin GPS 60 series - it's a newer range (than the Etrex) and comes standard with USB support. GSAK is great, and you can download the demo version to see if you like it (slight restricted use) - a real bargain at $20 anyway!

Have fun. Lots of adventures ahead.

Bear

Oh, you are going to enjoy thus journey a whole lot. I am also still new at the geocaching game and learn something ever day. Also have a look at the Garmin GPS 60 series - it's a newer range (than the Etrex) and comes standard with USB support. GSAK is great, and you can download the demo version to see if you like it (slight restricted use) - a real bargain at $20 anyway!

There is no restriciton in the functions you can use.

However, after 21 days you do get a nag screen. You can still use GSAK with all of the features avialable to you after 21 days, but if you want to get rid of the nag screen then registration is required.

So I ended up going with the eTrex Legend. It's got the features I think I'm going to need/want for geocaching and hiking and stuff. I think I'll always prefer to have a paper map, and magnetic compass with me when in unfamiliar wilderness, so the mapping memory wasn't too critical (I had beeen looking at more advanced units). I probably could've gotten away with a more basic unit, but the price was right on this one.

Regardless, let the fun begin!!

And thanks for your help everyone. (I'll be sure to check out the Edmonton link too.)

See you around..

Oatway

Judging from these forums there seem to be about a bazillion folks who love their eTrex Legend. You are in good company.

Now enjoy spending your time, money, gas, effort, brainpower, etc. in your quest to sign a logsheet. (Don't worry, the bill comes NEXT month. Enjoy Geocaching NOW and worry about next month - er, next month. That's what everybody else here does. :rolleyes: