Read Me First!

I really want to transfer my locationlees cache Hokjesgeest (Box[]Minded) to Waymarking.com.

Why am I not allowed to do this? :rolleyes: 3 simulair caches are already under coordinate play.

Hokjesgeest is just a local grid implementation of the general concept of claiming your own geoaching box bij taking a picture of your gps and the scenery at the 4 corner locations of a cel of 2 by 2 kilomter.

Why is this subcategory not approved so I can move my locationless cache.

31 december is just one more month away.

What is needed? Should I use inches and feeth or something?

Should I get a greencard?

Should I become a PM?

What is the difference with the other moved locationless caches? :ph34r:

Do existing locationless caches go away?

Eventually, yes. Although we do plan, with permission, to transfer the existing locationless caches to the new Waymarking site, existing locationless caches that do not transfer will be allowed to remain on the geocaching.com web site until the end of the year. Existing locationless caches that do transfer to Waymarking.com will be archived and the listings will be locked. It is up to the locationless cache owner whether to transfer their category.

Any existing logs will be preserved.

DaanVindZe said "Why am I not allowed to do this? "

Maybe, because you did not respond to them when all location less owners were made an offer to move their caches back in August? From my memory of another thread is that locationless owners where offered assistance in transfering their locationless caches to Waymarking back in August,from what I recall they were offered incentives like premium membership too and there was a time limit. That time limit has now expired. I understand the current situation as Jeremy put it in another thread.

""The "dibs" on former locationless caches is now over so once the site is launched in early November those categories will be available for management by someone other than the original locationless cache owner."

Edited by chstress53

The offer was made August 15. You needed to contact someone at GC.com and let them know you were interested in a transfer.

This is the offer:

"If you are a Premium Member and own a locationless geocache, we invite you to create a category on Waymarking.com. Once you have created your category we ask that you archive the geocaching.com listing to avoid confusion. Should you decide not to create a new category, your locationless cache listing will be grandfathered and remain as it is until you decide to archive it. No future locationless caches will be listed on the geocaching.com website."

You needed to contact them back in August, Sept or Oct.

This was said "What are the eligibility requirements for transferring a locationless cache?

They must have an individual theme and be at least semi-permanent locations. Listings like the (now archived) yellow Jeep will not be an eligible candidate as a waymark category (for now). As this is a new activity there may be other issues depending on the locationless cache. However we will try and work with the locationless cache owner so they can manage a similar category on Waymarking.com.

Keep in mind as the waymark category owner you are also required to be a premium member." If you were not a premium member they even offered incentive premium memberships. As I understand things several locationless owners were given 6 months Premiium memberships while this transfer took place.

"What if a waymark category mirrors an existing locationless but they have different managers?

During the grace period, if the category matches an existing locationless, the category will be transferred to the locationless cache owner. "

That grace period is now over! As I understand things it was over when the site opened to everyone in early November.

"What if a locationless cache owner decides not to move a listing?

That's perfectly fine. However, keep in mind that once a general grace period is over, someone else will have the opportunity to create a waymark category with the same theme"

Edited by chstress53
The offer was made  August 15.  You needed to contact someone at GC.com and let them know you were interested in a transfer. 

This is the offer:

"If you are a Premium Member and own a locationless geocache, we invite you to create a category on Waymarking.com. Once you have created your category we ask that you archive the geocaching.com listing to avoid confusion. Should you decide not to create a new category, your locationless cache listing will be grandfathered and remain as it is until you decide to archive it. No future locationless caches will be listed on the geocaching.com website."

I didn't receive this invitation. Probably because I am not a Premium Member.

And I didn't get an offer for a 6 month PM ship.

Who do I have to contact?

This isn't the right place for this kind of discussion. Post a new topic. When you do so please link to the existing locationless cache. Since I was the one who sent out the emails I can vouch for the fact that every locationless cache owner was sent an email. Whether it was filtered out on your mail server, client, or whatever, isn't something I can vouch for.

This isn't the right place for this kind of discussion. Post a new topic. When you do so please link to the existing locationless cache. Since I was the one who sent out the emails I can vouch for the fact that every locationless cache owner was sent an email. Whether it was filtered out on your mail server, client, or whatever, isn't something I can vouch for.

I know Jeremy wanted this to continue as a new topic but I didn't want to be the one to start it :anitongue:.

DaanVindZe did not get a invitation to convert his locationless to a Waymarking category because his locationless is listed as a virtual GCGY2Z. I can't tell if this was done to get around the moratorium on locationless or just because of the confusion that locationless and virtuals are two different cache types. Since the page is entirely in Dutch it may have been approved by a non Dutch speaking reviewer in error. It does sound like a really neat coordinate play if you live in the Netherlands. I suspect that something similar could be done with township squares, USGS topo quads, or any other national grid system.

will accepted waymarks count towards a geocaching (or I guess more appropriate "Groundspeak") score?

ie. If I log a waymark, will that count towards my score? A waymark Category?

-- The Mighty Canadian Juicepig

** NEVER MIND, I RETRACT THIS QUESTION! **

Edited by Juicepig
Quick question; I know the FAQs say that non-premium members will be allowed to use the site after the first month, which was back in August. Have the non-premium members officially been given access now?

Non-premium members have been able to access the Waymarking site since early November.

Some features of the site, however, are only available to Premium Members.

Non-premium members have been able to access the Waymarking site since early November.

Some features of the site, however, are only available to Premium Members.

I'm sure that creating categories is a members only deal, but how about creating waymarks? Can unpaying members create waymarks against categories that already exist?

Thanks,

Dave

When the locationless cache "Viquesney's Doughboy" at Geocaching.com was archived, its owner gave me permission to adopt it. Unfortunately, with all the hoops I'd have to jump through at Waymarking.com just to get it approved, let alone up and running, forget it! :blink: Not the least of which is the requirement that all category owners must become premium members. If any member could formerly own a locationless cache at Geocaching.com for free, why do they have to pay now at Waymarking.com? Why is one group of 'cachers segregated into its own Web site and singled out for required payment? This is arbitrary and discriminatory, and I suggest all members withhold their ideas for new categories (boycott this site) until locationles cache owners are accorded the same free or premium choice that members at Geocaching.com are given.

Edited by monitorlizard
Unfortunately, with all the hoops I'd have to jump through at Waymarking.com just to get it approved, let alone up and running, forget it! mad.gif Not the least of which is the requirement that all category owners must become premium members. If any member could formerly own a locationless cache at Geocaching.com for free, why do they have to pay now at Waymarking.com?

You have been a 'Member' -- for 4 years already? ...and never spend a "Cent on 'Groundspeak?" :D

S.M.H.>>>scratching my head) :D

:D NO..Caches

:D NO...Trackables

:D NO!..Action----Why even bother????