Acceptable Risk

Tidalflame

Geocaching can be a pretty risky sport. There are caches on the sides of cliffs, underwater, inside tunnels and caves, on the tops of mountains and generally in the middle of nowhere. But what's an unacceptable risk for a cache - when should one try to get a cache move?

As you've probably inferred, I'm facing a bit of a dilemma. I just attempted one cache for the third time and I'm beginning to think it needs to be moved. It's under a bridge, which isn't really a good thing, but not really bad in and of itself. The thing is, though, that this isn't a nice area. The dirt parking lot near the bridge is literally littered with used condoms, and under the bridge (where the cache is hidden), it's extremely dirty and smelly. Big deal, right? The thing is, there are used needles down there, too. I've only actually seen one, but I'm sure there are several more. If an unsuspecting cacher stepped on one of those, he or she could end up with HIV or any other number of diseases or infections.

This cache wasn't hidden by an unexperienced hider; it's nearly 2 years old, and it's been found nearly 30 times to date. Some of the finders seemed to enjoy it, and I didn't see any overwhelmingly negative comments. I don't want to tell people what risks they can and cannot take (I imagine that it's pretty obvious that the underside of a bridge is not the nicest place), but I do think it's pretty irresponsible to have a cache in a location where one unlucky step could get you HIV.

What do you think the best course of action is? Ignore it? Politely request that it be moved? Post a note warning future finders about the area?

What type of Bridge? If it is a Highway Bridge, that's State ROW and the cache has no business being there. Any other pubic road bridge might have something to say about that, also, but they are more lax.

But wait, isn't there something about bridges in the guidelines?

Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Regardless of the spot, though, I would send an email to the owner asking why he feels geocachers should be playing around used needles/condoms.

Cache in question?

If it's two years old with 30 or so finds, I assume that it's not that bad or all of the logs would say "Watch out for the condoms" or something similar. If you had a bad experience, feel free to post it for the next cacher to decide whether or not he/she wants to go, but it hardly rates a "this cache shuld be moved" based on what you've said.

AND, it can't really be THAT bad if you've been back 3 times yourself, can it?!?!

Rail bridge, forgot to mention that. It's a micro, by the way... and also, this is in Canada; we're a bit more lenient about that sort of thing.

Anyway, the problem isn't so bad that it really stands out... I mean, I imagine most people will have probably noticed the condoms but that in and of itself is probably not enough to put most people off. They're a bit disgusting, but they're not dangerous and you're not wading through them or searching under them.

What concerns me, though, is that the needles are far less obvious. The one I found was concealed by a bit of grass. I don't think I would have come back three times had I seen it the first time, but I didn't.

Edited by Tidalflame

It sounds as if you should use your IGNORE feature as you have some sour grapes over the issue. There is a cache in a ROCK PILE near my house and it is a restircted area though the owner has chose to ignore that even when I told him in person. So IGNORE for it. If you don't like it don't do it, it is that simple. People have to take resonsibility for there own safety. That said when ever I place a cache I have to think is this safe for people, sorry I can't uce the verbage I want.

So since you don't like the cache just ignore it and move on.

cheers

You are in FAR more danger driving to the cache site than at it!

Worry about what's real! :rolleyes:

Folks are generally alert and attentive on a cache hunt, but drive 75 miles and hour ten feet behind the car in front while watching the GPS map and talking on the telephone.

In almost 2,000 caches I have never done anything nearly as dangerous as drive to the grocery store!