Need Help With Garmin Gpsmap 60 Cs

GEOJuice

Good day Felow GEO Cs

A newwbee to geocaching and I am having problems homing into the caches. I have been walking in circles at several times when trying to locate the cache. the garmin will indicate a distance to destination and all of the sudden it will show a diferent distance in a different heading. This becoms very anoying when searching as I will walk in cirle trying to home in on the cache. a frequently use the recalculate function to try and refresh my location but the auto routing sends me walking all around... I am wondering if their is something wrong with the unit or If I am doing something wrong...Should I purchase an antenna to increass reception??? Hope someone can help

This is probably not the case, but are you using the auto-routing function "on road" to get to the cache location? If so, you need to change to the "off road" arrow once you get close.

The arrow should be pointing in the direction of the cache and the numbers should be going down.

One time we were at a cache location that had some sort of disturbance. The arrow was going crazy, so we just looked at the numbers and watched them go down until we found the cache.

... I have been walking in circles at several times when trying to locate the cache. the garmin will indicate a distance to destination and all of the sudden it will show a diferent distance in a different heading. ...

How far away from the cache does the unit say you are when it starts to go nutty?

You need to go to "offroad" routing when you get to the cache site. Do this by using the "find" button and hitting "offroad" when the appropriate screen comes up. Then the autorouting wont try to recalculate.

Even so, you'll find that the numbers wont be steady. The units available for public use will not be perfectly accurate but you'll get use to that and be sniffing out caches like a pro in no time!

You need to go to "offroad" routing when you get to the cache site. Do this by using the "find"  button and hitting "offroad" when the appropriate screen comes up. Then the autorouting wont try to recalculate.

Even so, you'll find that the numbers wont be steady. The units available for public use will not be perfectly accurate but you'll get use to that and be sniffing out caches like a pro in no time!

This may not work if her default is set to "Follow Road", which I think it is.

Les 4 Frogs, turn on your GPS and press "Menu" twice; then select "Setup"; then "Routing".

In the "Guidance Method", select "Off Road". Personally, I leave it on "Prompted". The downside to this is you having to choose between "Off Road" and "Follow Road" every time you select "Go To" on a waypoint. To me this is a minor nuisance 'cause it sure beats having to remember where the selection is hidden!

Webscouter makes another good suggestion; although, I'm pretty sure your problem does not lie here. That is, to not lock on road. This feature will affect your reading if you are using the Map page for navigation. The lock feature will show you are on a road on the GPS Map page even if you are several feet away from it. Removing the lock feature will accurately show your position on the Map page relative to the road you are on/near. I have it unlocked. To change this setting, select the "Map" icon in the same screen as "Routing", above. You will see six icons right below the battery bar; choose the one with the "N" on it. The last choice here is "Lock on Road"; make your selection, then press "Page" or "Quit" to exit.

You should now be in business!

Edited by Chuy