I'm Mad....

Spoo

Every cache I've found has my name written in pen.

Any chance to brag about your legible penmanship, eh Tyler? ;)

Why can't you just leave those of us with doctor's handwriting alone!? :D

:):)

Ok...I admit, I've written my name in pencil a few times too. :D Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I used stickers, but since I don't have my own, I used the Ventura Kids stickers. If you see those stickers, that was me. :D

I've gone caching with ShowStop where, after the rest of us have put our stickers in the the log, we have to wait for him to sign his name with a pen. Then we have to wait while he makes sure the lid is on securely and he puts the cache back exactly the way we found it ;)

Yeah, but I drive fast so I'm always the first person to find the next cache. :D

Here is my question. Has anyone ever used "Write in the rain paper" books to keep the water troubles down?

Write in the rain paper

Just wondering if this little investment could help curb the water logged, er, log book :D

If you go to the Groundspeak store/site you'll find a waterproof logbook - made by rite-in-the-rain. I've used some of rite-in-the-rain mini-books as replacement logbooks (about $20 dollars for 12, I carry several with me) or in small caches. I've also cut strips from their full size pads to put in micro and such.

Adventure Paper (from National Geographic, for inkjet printers) also works, but is a bit more expensive. It is easier to find.

:) Just remember to put in a note that you are using waterproof paper and a sharpie or somesuch may be needed to sign the log.

The only one I have come across wouldn't accept pencil or standard papermate roller tip. ;)

A sharpie? You have to be kidding. I found a cache the other day with one and it was a mess. An ordinary pen works well with Rite in the Rain paper(or a pencil). I found a cache with Rite in the Rain paper that had been there 3 years with more than a hundred logs and the logbook was in great shape. A cacher I know who just recently passed 1000 finds had signed it as his 40th find - and it looked like it had been written yesterday.

This is not a new topic. It has been here before but I have to speak up again.

I have four caches. All of a sudden, I start getting complaints.....and rightfully so. Two of the four are wet and two of the four have been moved.

My containers are VERY weather tight and inside, everything is in zip-lock bags. I find the bags unzipped and the containers un-sealed. WHY can't people take the extra minute to reseal things properly. I have come across other owned caches with the same problem.

SHAME on the folks that are out for the BIG count....5 or 10 or 20 caches in a day! Take two more minutes and reseal things.

As for moving caches, I suspect people think their co-ordinates are more accurate, therefore the cache should go HERE. Those people that do that make it hard for owners to perform maintenance. And after all, it probably no longer fits the clue description.

Now...guess what people? You can review the logs and SEE almost to the day who and when things went bad. WE owners know who you are !

OK....I'll get off my soap-box now. After all, people who are guilty of these offenses do not usually even read these forums.

Spoo,

We have to agree with you about some cachers being either in a hurry or just careless. We have found caches that have not been closed at all or an ammo can that had the lid just pushed down & not latched...this was beside a 'dry wash' that was not dry anymore & the cache was upside down with a corner in the now really wet wash. We dried out the contents & box & replaced the ziploc baggie that had been inside - unsealed -.

Mostly with our own caches we find that we have to go check on the 'hide' after 2 finders to make sure it is hidden correctly for the 'effect' we are after, for the next finder. Yup, to be sure, it takes up a lot of our time that the finders do not re-hide our caches as found....but, this seems like an ongoing thing with people who usually do not have any hides at all themselves. These people, I guess, do not realize the time & effort that goes into a good hide or a really nice viewpoint hide or that the 'effect' of the hide itself for the next cacher will be lessened if they do not re-hide it as found.

But after the years of following behind the finders - re-hiding & replacing & beefing up the contents once again - we have become aware of just how often we need to go check the caches to get the best logs....which is the real reason that we keep doing this insane hobby...the logs....they are fun to read! As long as they do not just say...TNLN TFTC. If that were the case...we would have quit a Looong time ago!

Shirley of 2oldfarts

I wish you would all stop generalizing. I'm a newbie and I've never hidden a cache (I will once I find more to get good ideas) so apparently I've been just tossing the open cache with unzipped Ziplocs into puddles of water. Actually, from the very beginning, we have made sure that all the zips are zipped and the closures closed. We carefully place the container exactly (to the best of our abilities) where we found it and conceal it well. So you see, it is not about inexperience, it's about respecting the work of others. There are lazy slobs out there, experienced and new, who ruin the game for others. It doesn't just happen in Geocaching, take a look around you. See the trash on the ground next to a garbage can? Same lazy slob who tossed your open cache in the mud. It doesn't matter if they've hidden their own cache. They don't care about anybody but themselves anyway.

I wish you would all stop generalizing.  I'm a newbie and I've never hidden a cache (I will once I find more to get good ideas) so apparently I've been just tossing the open cache with unzipped Ziplocs into puddles of water.  Actually, from the very beginning, we have made sure that all the zips are zipped and the closures closed.  We carefully place the container exactly (to the best of our abilities) where we found it and conceal it well.  So you see, it is not about inexperience, it's about respecting the work of others.  There are lazy slobs out there, experienced and new, who ruin the game for others.  It doesn't just happen in Geocaching, take a look around you.  See the trash on the ground next to a garbage can?  Same lazy slob who tossed your open cache in the mud.  It doesn't matter if they've hidden their own cache.  They don't care about anybody but themselves anyway.

We have one cache near home that we have to go rehide after almost every find! 1 out of 10 will actually replace the cache as found, and that's if we're lucky.

The container was spray painted and then while still wet pressed into the sand where it is hidden. The top is then a layer of sand with some very small patches of the container showing. We placed it in a depression and smoothed the sand level with the sides of the cache. We placed a rock on top of the container.

It seems as though it is too difficult to level the sand up to the top edge of the container. Most of the finders just set it on the ground and put the rock on top of it. It then stands out like a sore thumb.

Take a minute folks and pay attention to how the cache is hidden before retrieving it and replace it as found. I guess that takes too much effort for most folks. :wacko:

John

I guess that takes too much effort for most folks. 

Well, the fact is I have a cache that I myself couldn't replace the same way twice if I tried.

I guess I give the benefit doubt when it comes to misplaced caches. I don't paint 'errors' with a broad brush.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Eh, my two pennies: muggling and water-logged-logs are two of the bigger issues with the condition of caches. Case in point: I found a micro yesterday, a 35mm film can sealed tighter than a drum. Inside, a wet log. Not sure how that happens, but I'm hoping the owner will address it. Muggling.. no way to avoid that, except for coming up with really good hides.

Back 2 your regular programming... :wacko:

:( I do try to replace the caches where I found them and make sure that they stay dry.  I've even been known to replace caches that have been muggled on occasion.

I don't....

I take cache one ;) and leave it where cache two was :blink: and then put two where three was and so at the end of the day, I'm left with one,

I dump it out and use it the next time I go out. !!!! ;):wacko:

:lol::D:lol:;);):D:o:D

Sorry, couldn't resist... I have had a few problems like that, but, not to the degree you have....

In my brief experience, most problems are overstuffed caches that make it hard to reseal the container. The frustrating thing is that the overstuffed caches don't really have very good stuff in them.

Some caches are doomed by their location such as those in waterways or just above waterlines in creeks and streams.

Some containers just don't work. Decon containers in particular, if they are not sheltered it seems that anything paper in them is just mush when I open it up.

I think regular maintenance and smarter placement are the key.

from my personal experience the only thing you can do is either stop caching or just replace the caches. anyone who has ever hid a cache probably knows exactly the problems you've been having. i know i do. so i guess the only thing you can do is grin and bear it :wacko:

2 minutes to seal a cache? what kind of cache is it (just out of curiosity :blink: )

In my brief experience, most problems are overstuffed caches that make it hard to reseal the container.

:lol: I came across one like that yesterday.

The tupperware wasn't sealed when I found it.

I had to carefully repack all of the stuff to make it seal.

I think this a personal problem as neither one of my exes could seal those things no matter how hard they tried. :lol:

:lol: By the way Viking, is that butter brickle? :lol: