Help...gps V

What do you see on the Sat Strength Bars ... Anything or are they all "gone"

Have you tried a cold start ??

On the Aquiring Satellities page - hit menu, scroll down to new Location hit enter and choose Automatic

What does the diagnostic screen look like (Light + enter button together to power on) whats in the Signal ??

The special combination Factory reset button combo is rumoured to not work anymore

Edited by S&G.Davison

I had that problem with my GPS III (same body type). The fix for me was take the antenna off and make sure the underlying nut was tight. When the nut loosens, the antenna mount backs into the unit and grounds out, effectively rendering the antenna useless.

Hope that helps since it's an easy fix.

Edited by JDan150

Wilder -

The V is a very good GPS for just about everything. Its one draw back is its lack of Map memory vs the newer units. Limited to 19 where some of the newer units have 56-119mb for maps.

Something to think about I had an issue where the gops would not for anything aquire statlites. I had to back flash it to a 2.05 firmware then do a force reset let it redownload the satalite alminac (sp) and then flashed it back to the 2.50 firmware.

ONe bad thing is you loose all your user data ( hours on, total miles etc ) but thats what ended up fixing mine a while ago.

-Robert

It is now working. Fresh batteries and a cold start must have fixed it! Thank you so much. It saved me $150. You said that there are better ones out there now. As in which ones do you recommend?

Wilder ... I have two Garmin Vs and I am not rushing out to change either .. what I'd love is a Garmin V mark II .. same unit but just more memory .. nothing else ...

I have looked at the 60 Family many a time, however the feature I would really miss from the V is that you can use it in portrait (in your hand) and Landscape (in the car) mode .. If I had to change I'd get the 60C .. however not "cheap" :rolleyes:

I really like the Antenna on the GPS V's I had, and it was able to pivot UP, whether in Landscape mode on the dashboard, or portrait mode in the hand.

map60C - Fixed in Portrait mode, otherwise it would lose reception in landscape mode

Quest GPS - Fixed in Landscape mode, otherwise it would lose reption in portrait mode.