New Forum Section For Pictures

Zephyrpl

One of the things I really enjoy about the Forum is the wide variety of pictures that people upload. I had to laugh at all the crazy signs people photographed, and the picture of the guy the the ATV cooling off in a stream was pretty good. My point is that I would like to see the Groundspeak people open a photographs section in the Forum. Whaddya think?

Zephyr

One of the things I really enjoy about the Forum is the wide variety of pictures that people upload. I had to laugh at all the crazy signs people photographed, and the picture of the guy the the ATV cooling off in a stream was pretty good. My point is that I would like to see the Groundspeak people open a photographs section in the Forum. Whaddya think?

Zephyr

What's wrong with this?

Zephyr

What's wrong with this?

OK - cool -

so howd you do dat?

?????????????????

I go to the seek page (looking at the url) and I see no link to a gallery -

is this one of those you gotta be in the know to get there things?

never saw a galler link on a page other than a profile page -

cc\

Zephyr

What's wrong with this?

Mopar asked what was wrong with that -

cc\

On the front page:

And this is relevant to the OP's request how?

Please don't tell me that you think that a "most recent submittted photos" gallery equates to a forum section for photos.

And having a place for people to upload pictures funny signs and ATVs relates to geocaching how?

Please don't tell me you think using forum software equates to a reasonable way to display potentially millions of images.

On the front page:

And this is relevant to the OP's request how?

Please don't tell me that you think that a "most recent submittted photos" gallery equates to a forum section for photos.

Since the OP's stated reason for requesting a forum for (presumably geocaching related) photos was an easy way to view all the (presumably geocaching related) photos people take; a link to the already exisiting and apparently not well known photo gallery seems pretty darn relevant to the OP's request.

It may not be exactly what he asked for; but it seems pretty close to what he wants. Much more and you are talking about a photo storage site, not a geocaching site.

Edited by Mopar
It may not be exactly what he asked for; but it seems pretty close to what he wants. Much more and you are talking about a photo storage site, not a geocaching site.

People could use sites like this one:

http://www.theimagehosting.com/

No need to host all of the photos here, but it's fun to see some of the stuff people come up with. As it is right now, photos are posted in every section and well, maybe I don't want to wade through the gallery to find the "fun" stuff.

Since the OP's stated reason for requesting a forum for (presumably geocaching related) photos was an easy way to view all the (presumably geocaching related) photos people take; a link to the already exisiting and apparently not well known photo gallery seems pretty darn relevant to the OP's request.

I sure didn't see it that way. Seems to me he was asking for a place for people to share pointers to especially interesting and amusing photos uploaded to geocaching.com; that's quite a different thing from slogging through thousands of uploaded pictures each day.

The "newest photos" link, like the "recent logs" link, is pretty much useless.

And why so defensive about the hosting space, anyway? OP wasn't asking for that!

Honestly, this is a discussion forum, not a gallery. You can link in and display photos here if you like in topics as they relate to the topic (well usually they relate to the topic anyway :D ). You can even post topics about photos. Why we need a whole forum for just photos doesn't compute... since this is a discussion forum and not a photo gallery. While it might be cool, a discussion forum is not a gallery to me either.

Even if a gallery was added, it would kill anyone who is on dial-up don't you think? Eventually it would also be "clogged" just as the current gallery is. Why do we need two? The OP said, and I quote:

My point is that I would like to see the Groundspeak people open a photographs section in the Forum.

He was not asking for pointers to interesting photos. It sounds like he was asking for a dedicated place to post photos. It exists already, as has been pointed out. I guess we would end up with photos posted to the main site and posted here, which is double server load, which slows down the system... which nobody wants based on the topics started dealing with the slowness of the site when there are any problems of that sort. People would be uploading photos that you would have to weed through anyway, right? I can see some merits, but the server weight and impact to the performance of the site for this seems to not justify the addition.

Ultimately it is up to Jeremy anyway I guess. It is also a web site formatting question to boot, so it belongs in the GC.com Web Site Forum.

And away we go!