Taking Tag And Leaving The Bug

anyone know of a cacher pete_Mc. I just had a log on my cache (Path Head GC22D7. Country Barbie has no tag, on wed night last checking the stock in the field i also checked on the cache and gave the inside a clean out. Country Barbie still had her tag attached, so checking today , the log says took travel bug no. 461122 (which is the wrong no. anyway) but the actual bug is still in the box so they must have taken the chain off with the tag and left the bug, I cant' find anything on this cacher and just getting error messages on gcuk so I can't track him down. I have contacted owner of bug to let him know what has happened . I have never come across this way of moving bugs before.

Nige

Edited by The Northumbrian

Had it happen to a TB of ours in Scotland. The tag, which had been sewn on to the TB, was removed. Thankfully the next cacher saw the problem and posted the TB back to us for a new tag to be affixed. Lord knows what these perople at are..... but possibly another reason for Members Only caches in the hope that members would know what they're at?

Edited by Birders

Had a similar problem a couple of months ago where a newbie cacher took the tag not realizing he was suppose to take the object it was attached to. Next cacher took the item without the tag and contacted me. A couple of emils straightened it right out:) Bug and tag were reunited and have carried on their journey together.

Had a similar problem a couple of months ago where a newbie cacher took the tag not realizing he was suppose to take the object it was attached to. Next cacher took the item without the tag and contacted me. A couple of emils straightened it right out:) Bug and tag were reunited and have carried on their journey together.

Thats why I am trying to find info on the cacher, If they are new to the hobbyand perhaps need a bit help. as to what you do with tb's. it may save some going missing.they may be on hols and travelling around before they log it. anyway bug owner has been informed of the situation so thats probably as much as I can do. I have the bug at home now. I still feel responsible sort of , with it being in my cache and it was myself who put it in in the first place, another bug was picked up at the beginingg of June and still has not been moved. I only wish people would not take them if they are only going to hold on to them. I think about two weeks should be a set time to hold onto bugs

Nige

I must agree two weeks to hold onto a t/b seems long enough. That is what Lynne and I aim for, and if for any reason we are not able to get out to do a cache within that time, we take the bug to one of our own caches and release it there. That way at least it moves on and is able to be picked up.

I have now made contact with the name in the log thats taken the tag off the bug and left the bug. exept it wasn't him that visited the cache and has no knowledge of it. so we must have a muggle who's found it via the site and using a cachers name in the log book. so now I will have to move the cache and then make it a member only . I dont seem to have much choice. any suggestions are most welcome. :(

Nige

I have now made contact with the name in the log thats taken the tag off the bug and left the bug. exept it wasn't him that visited the cache and has no knowledge of it. so we must have a muggle who's found it via the site and using a cachers name in the log book. so now I will have to move the cache and then make it a member only . I dont seem to have much choice. any suggestions are most welcome. :(

Nige

Add this would be one good reason for members only caches (see other thread to explain why we posted this comment).

Well it now turns out that there are two pete mc's, I did a search of caches local to Path Head cache and the pete that took the tag and left the bug logged ON LINE

GCG4BE , and he joined second week in July of this year. so I have emailed this other Pete mc and hopefully will get the bug and tag re-united. this saves me having to move the cache . how can 2 cachers be called the same. it can get confusing , hope I get a reply

Nige

A number of TB tags which I've seen have been very poorly attached to the item (eg, wrapped round the neck of a teddy bear). Maybe a previous finder could have loosened the chain while admiring the cute toy, so that it fell off when placed back in the box. In this case a finder might not know which goodie was the TB, and/or a newbie might not realise that there was supposed to be something attached to it.

Maybe a previous finder could have loosened the chain while admiring the cute toy, so that it fell off when placed back in the box

I was the last at the cache, I was checking the catttle and went over the otherside of the field to check up on it. this

was wed last week , two days before it went missing . It was on a chain and also a keyring hoop, so it pretty secure.so time was spent removing them both as some of them keyring holders take some opening

Nige

Go to the top of this page, and click on "members".  Narrow the search down to names begining with "pete".

Cool, didn't know you could do that. Does it work with all members of GC.com or just those that use the forum? I can't remember if forum registration is a default or not. :(

[Go to the top of this page, and click on "members". Narrow the search down to names begining with "pete".

That just shows members of the Groundspeak forums , you can't do that to search for cachers as all cachers dont use the forums. GCUK which is back up running , is the best for looking for cachers. it has been a big miss these past couple of days

Nige