Garmin Topo, How Useful ?

Rgonz

Garmin's Topo USA is essentially the USGS 1:100,000 survey maps. They lack much of the detail of the 1:24,000 maps, but give a good overview of the terrain, water, etc you might find on the trail. Garmin offers 1:24K maps, but only for national parks and some state parks. I use Topo USA and like it.

I think that the Garmin Topo USA maps are very useful. Considering the size of the screen on GPS's the maps have good detail for the topography around you. Like Sputnik 57 says they are equivalent to USGS 1:100,000 survey maps so they do not have the detail of say the 1:24,000 maps but then again that amount of detail gets harder to see on such a small screen. I like them a lot. Where else can you get decent topographical maps of the entire US for under $100?

If you are really worried about 'high quality' maps I would suggest looking into creating your own. You can easily make 1:24,000 maps or better by following: Garmin Custom Maps. These take time to create but are free and very high quality.

I use topozone.com for quick topos of a cache area. I also use maps.google.com for ariial photos and road names which can point out good parking areas near the cache. Nothing is worse than bushwhacking for 300 yards only to find a trail next to the cache that leads to a nice parking lot. Lately I have been using google earth to look over areas in advance. :rolleyes: ImpalaBob

How detailed are they for dirt roads? I would like to use my GPS in the jeep when I'm up in the canyons to find dirt roads that I've never been on before. Is Garmin Topo current on these? TIA.

Devin

where are you? I'll see if I can post a screen shot for your area. Or you can go to the Garmin site and get a preview there.

I think its very useful. It helps to know if there is a swamp, stream, ravine, cliff or mountain between you and a cache. It also helps you figure out what side of a stream a cache is on so you don't wind up backtracking and looking for a place to cross.

How detailed are they for dirt roads? I would like to use my GPS in the jeep when I'm up in the canyons to find dirt roads that I've never been on before. Is Garmin Topo current on these?

I can't speak for all areas, but it shows most dirt roads in NJ.

compared to what?

useful - as Brian said - but as compared to Delorme Topo they are sadly lacking.

Go check their web site and compare.

you can do about the same with tracks and waypoints so that is about the same. I like the looks of the thicker roads (Like the new google maps) rather than the thin line of most mappings. The accuracy of the roads to the topo has about the same accuracy. Good in some places and off in others.

cc\