Saving Descriptions

Is there a quick way to save a batch of cache pages? Before we set out on a trip I'll find a dozen or so in one area and more further along the highway. I can download the coordinates to my laptop easily, but then it takes hours to access the individual pages and copy them into a Word file. From there I edit them down to the essentials, including the encrypted hints and print them out to have while searching.

Is there a quicker way?

I sometimes do what you do, copy down the essentials of the cache page to a word doc. I COULD go paperless, but I do enjoy having something to write on describing the cache, what I lleft, etc beside the name of the cache.

I do sometimes go paperless. I am a premium member, so I run PQs on an area that I am going to, and d/l the sesults (.GPX files) into GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), which allows you to sort the cache pages and scrool through them on your laptop. Unless you want to lug your laptop out in the woods, you can't take the pages out of the car, though.

I sometimes do what you do, copy down the essentials of the cache page to a word doc.  I COULD go paperless, but I do enjoy having something to write on describing the cache, what I lleft, etc beside the name of the cache.

I do sometimes go paperless.  I am a premium member, so I run PQs on an area that I am going to, and d/l the sesults (.GPX files) into GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), which allows you to sort the cache pages and scrool through them on your laptop.  Unless you want to lug your laptop out in the woods, you can't take the pages out of the car, though.

I had always thought that one of the main features of pda's was the ability to 'write' on their screen. Strange. As a matter of fact, I'd swear that I've seen people in these very forums state that they entered 'notes' into their pda's as a matter of routine. When you go paperless, exactly how do you do it? :P

Never mind I see it now. You don't really go paperless, you just think about doing it. Thanks. :P

I'm going to be paperless soon, I'll let you know how it works out.

Edited by Team Cotati
Is there a quick way to save a batch of cache pages? Before we set out on a trip  I'll find a dozen or so in one area and more further along the highway.  I can download the coordinates to my laptop easily, but then it takes hours to access the individual pages and copy them into a Word file. From there I edit them down to the essentials, including the encrypted hints and print them out to have while searching.

Is there a quicker way?

As a premium member you can download the .GPX file from the cache page ("GPS exchange file" link). This contains all the info from the cache page (excluding photos). Using a program like GSAK you can collect all these file together and view them in just about any order you want.

If you want a lot of caches in one area the Personal Queries (PQ) are the way to go. You can select the type, difficulty, and other features you want and have a file of all matching caches e-mailed to you. Again loading this into GSAK (or similar program) allows you to view, sort, print, etc.

You can export this data to a number of other programs (mapping and such) or a PDA (CacheMate and other programs let you see the page on a handheld).

I had always thought that one of the main features of pda's was the ability to 'write' on their screen. Strange. As a matter of fact, I'd swear that I've seen people in these very forums state that they entered 'notes' into their pda's as a matter of routine. When you go paperless, exactly how do you do it? :huh:

Never mind I see it now. You don't really go paperless, you just think about doing it. Thanks. :blink:

I don't even have a PDA...yet.

I had always thought that one of the main features of pda's was the ability to 'write' on their screen. Strange. As a matter of fact, I'd swear that I've seen people in these very forums state that they entered 'notes' into their pda's as a matter of routine. When you go paperless, exactly how do you do it?  :huh:

Never mind I see it now. You don't really go paperless, you just think about doing it. Thanks.  :blink:

I don't even have a PDA...yet.

When in doubt, see paragraph #2. :o