Maps

Recdiver

I have the Garmin City Select maps now and am considering getting a TOPO map program after this weekend.  From Garmin I can get the Mapsource US TOPO or the US TOPO 24k National Parks West for the same price.  Looking for recomendations?  thanks

I have Garmin's US Topo product, and wouldn't go without. It has paid for itself a number of times. For example, letting me know which side of a creek a cache is located on, or which of the maze of dirt roads to take to get to a cache.

BTW, I also have National Geographic's state Topo product, and wouldn't go without that either. That is probably your better bet for national parks, since I'm not sure the higher level of detail will be very useful on your GPS.

I know crazy me I sometimes think about things other than caching. Go figure.

Bad RecDiver...we obviously haven't done a complete enough job of 'converting' you yet...

We must try harder... :blink:

I don't know what the differences are, but I got the plain Mapsource Topo and have found it quite good.

I'll concer with Jeff.

Garmin Topo USA for the GPS

Delorme Topo5 3D on the Computer.

Or... Better Yet, Delorme or National Geographics State Series of 7.5' Topos.. You'll pay $100 for one state instead of $100 for the entire country, but the maps are more detailed.

Either way, since you can only load GARMIN maps into your GPS, you're prety much stuck there.

For my 60C I can load the entire state of WA with City Select and still have room for 2/3 of the state with TOPO.

I have the Garmin City Select maps now and am considering getting a TOPO map program after this weekend.  From Garmin I can get the Mapsource US TOPO or the US TOPO 24k National Parks West for the same price.  Looking for recomendations?  thanks

There are not any caches in the National Parks!

Not true, there are no geocaches in the NP, at least not listed here. There very well may be an X-cache or two there though...

There are not any caches in the National Parks!

Gee, then what are those 6 finds I have in Grand Canyon NP? Let's see, the data arrived in a PQ, GSAK lists it, my PDA & GPSr received it, and I wrote logs and all that - and they're not caches??? :lol:

:D:D:D:o:P:D:D

As a side note - why hasn't anyone set up an Earthcache at Grand Canyon?

I know crazy me I sometimes think about things other than caching.  Go figure.

Bad RecDiver...we obviously haven't done a complete enough job of 'converting' you yet...

We must try harder... :lol:

I don't know what the differences are, but I got the plain Mapsource Topo and have found it quite good.

Took our 20-year old daughter with us caching for the first time and she appeared to enjoy it. She wanted to know if I was taking both GPSrs to Canada with me cuz' she wants to go caching with her mother while I'm away this weekend.

Also while we were caching this weekend we apparently were being 'stalked' by a large cougar. Kept hearing this odd noise, saw some paw prints, and as we were leaving heard a yowling sound. Daughter called the ranger's station yesterday and the ranger told her it was probably a large cougar since one had been reported in the area. Cool.

This was the cache that 'we' got confused on and ended up walking 1/2 mile down a forest service road that dead ended. However it would be a neat place for a hide...assuming mr. cougar doesn't mind.

There are no Earthcaches in Grand Canyon National Park or most other National Parks in the US because there are discussions going on between the NPS and the Geological Society of America regarding the creation of them in National Parks. "Geoaware" is the one involved in the discussion on the behalf of the Geological Society of America and if all goes well there could be many new Earthcaches in the future.

I recently got both the Pinnacles National Monument and Ojai district of the Los Padres National Forest to approve some Earthcaches. Both agencies were very supportive of the ideas.

It did take a couple of weeks to actually talk to someone from the National Park Service at the Pinnacles, but once I got them, they loved the idea. It will just take someone to go get the coordinates and get local approval from the Grand Canyon National Park.