Cbs To Have Geocaching Story Tuesday 6/21

Peconic Bay Sailors

Didn't see anything posted on their website yet but I did find an ad for "G.P.S. The Movie" with the following description:

The movie is based on the newly popular GPS treasure hunting. The movie is a suspense/thriller/horror film. Join our mailing list for updates.

The contest will integrate many different ideas including but not limited to, GPS (Global Positioning Systems), compass, maps, coding, puzzles, trivia, paintball guns, and more to help you obtain the ultimate treasure in the ultimate gps scavenger, treasure hunt adventure game.

This contest, and the movie has no affiliation with any other related site such as Geocaching.com, Scavengerhunt.com, Realburiedtreasure.com, etc.

gpsthemovie.com

Thanks to Mr. Resolution for posting the link. The show appeared on the local NY CBS news. The cacher that they went out with is Ryan McDonald. I am not familiar with his name, perhaps I would know him by his Geocache name, does anyone know his geocache name?

I tried to sort out which cache they found, they said it was in Manhattan, but I can not pinpoint the cache. It was in a park like setting that had a stone tower with stairs. One of the log entires was dated 6/11/05. A quick search did not reveal which cache it was.

Thanks to Mr. Resolution for posting the link.  The show appeared on the local NY CBS news.  The cacher that they went out with is Ryan McDonald.  I am not familiar with his name, perhaps I would know him by his Geocache name, does anyone know his geocache name?

I tried to sort out which cache they found, they said it was in Manhattan, but I can not pinpoint the cache.  It was in a park like setting that had a stone tower with stairs.  One of the log entires was dated 6/11/05.  A quick search did not reveal which cache it was.

If I had to guess the cache was from the Magellan contest (I don't think its listed on Geocaching.com). The Magellan cache is in Highbridge park. In the log: "Good game, 2nd year participant, I look forward to other missions...". The Magellan cache is here --> N 40° 50.972 W 73° 55.686

Edited by Mxyzptlk

On Friday (06/24/05) I was on my way to Westchester county, NY. I stopped by this cache along with the nearby Dry Bridge cache. to check out the details with this cache.

It is located in High Bridge Park, north of the GWB. I parked on Laural Hill Terrace which contains the loading docks and guard shacks for the Wilf Campus of Yeshiva University. Located there are the staircases and tower that is pictured in the WCBS NY news piece. I went down the stairs took a left and a quick right into the woods, and found the cache right away.

It is a wee bit disingenuous. It appears that the young man Ryan McDonald that "found" the cache, was also the person that placed the cache. I am just guessing here, but I would surmise that Ryan McDonald works for the publicity department of Magellan. He is pretty clever, because he got CBS news to give Magellan a bunch of free advertising. I took the business card that the reporter Brett Larson left in the container. I did not claim the prize that he offered.

The Magellan hunt seems to be followed by a core group of people, seems like an interesting idea.