Question On A Garmin 60cs

Hi people !

I'm new here and almost a newbe on gps since I only had one more than 6 years ago. My question is : what is the message "hold level " that appears sometimes at the compass page (compass on )? I can see that compass is not correct...and yes, I already calibrated it :P

Thanking in advance ,

Edited by Zoso777
You must recalibrate every time you change the batteries.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

Tks for your reply Rich,

I know that, but I haven't changed batts since last time I calibrate and this message is still showing :P

Edited by Zoso777

Typically when you are in Compass mode, to get a more accurate reading (compass pointing north) you need to hold the GPSr as level as possible. There are sensors indicating level, and if you aren't, the message pops up on the screen. And don't trust the ground as level.

You can test this theory by tipping the GPSr forward and backward and watch the compass move. I usually carry a magnetic compass as a backup, and test North on the compass with North on the GPSr. The magnetic compass also comes in handy sometimes under a heavy canopy so you can triangulate possible hiding spots.

Typically when you are in Compass mode, to get a more accurate reading (compass pointing north) you need to hold the GPSr as level as possible. There are sensors indicating level, and if you aren't, the message pops up on the screen. And don't trust the ground as level.

You can test this theory by tipping the GPSr forward and backward and watch the compass move. I usually carry a magnetic compass as a backup, and test North on the compass with North on the GPSr. The magnetic compass also comes in handy sometimes under a heavy canopy so you can triangulate possible hiding spots.

I didn´t like that ! :lol:

I also have a backup magnetic compass but the idea of gps compass not working fine makes me upset...If ground is not level and there´s no earthquake I can´t understand. Of course, I´m not talking about places not on level but at least those ones it seems like...anyway... :D

Tks for your reply!

I have a subsidiary question about the calibration of the 60cs compass. It says to turn slowly for two full turns.

Sometimes I turn the unit, sometimes I shuffle myself round on the spot as well, but either way it's pretty hard to maintain a constant speed.

The progress bar fills up after somewhere between 1.8 and 2.2 rotations. Does that mean that my compass will be 10% out, or is the unit smart enough to cope with the inevitable minor variations in rotation speed ?

I believe when it takes 2+ rotations your speed wasn't as perfect as it likes, hence the longer rotation to get it's info.

You can also calibrate it not level (I do mine slightly angled toward me as I naturally hold it in my hand) so it's easier to see.

This is trickier if you turn it with your hands, but easier if you hold the belt clip and spin it or rotate your entire body (don't fall down--then it won't be level!).

I've found I need to recalibrate if the bedrock is radically different from where I used it last. (Presumably the magnetic fields are different.)

Calibrate it on a hillside and it won't be as happy when it gets to level and vise-versa.

Enjoy,

Randy

I have a subsidiary question about the calibration of the 60cs compass. It says to turn slowly for two full turns.

Sometimes I turn the unit, sometimes I shuffle myself round on the spot as well, but either way it's pretty hard to maintain a constant speed.

The progress bar fills up after somewhere between 1.8 and 2.2 rotations. Does that mean that my compass will be 10% out, or is the unit smart enough to cope with the inevitable minor variations in rotation speed ?

it doesn't mean anything, Just don't rotate too fast and hold level.