Premium Member

Shadow Ryder

Pocket Queries, Bookmark lists, Pocket Queries, Ignore Lists, Pocket Queries, panning the gc.com maps, Pocket Queries, Members Only caches, Pocket Queries, unlimited watchlists, Pocket Queries, change your forum title, Pocket Queries, individual cache page .gpx downloads....

....by the way, did I remember to mention Pocket Queries?

For detailes read this.

but basically you get a file set to you thats been presort to include whatever you want, and including up to 500 waypoints. Then using your gps cable, and a software program (free ones are available) you upload the waypoints to your gps. What used to take hours entering by hand, now takes you a few minutes.

(you can also use pocket queries to put cache data, everthing thats on the cache page, on a pda. )

Are you using a PC Cable?

If not here is the steps that you need to follow.

Step 1 Get a PC Cable to download LOC files with EasyGPS.

Step 2 Become a Premium Member to order Pocket Queries (Up to 500 at one time) Zipped GPX FIles (More detail that LOC files)

Purchase GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) for $20 to manage files on your PC. (Get Microsoft Streets & Trips to make your own maps from exporting date from GSAK)

Step 3 Going paperless

Get a used palm (M150 2Meg) from E-bay and Cachemate ($8) to import files from GSAK to your palm.

Pocket Queries, Bookmark lists, Pocket Queries, Ignore Lists, Pocket Queries, panning the gc.com maps, Pocket Queries, Members Only caches, Pocket Queries, unlimited watchlists, Pocket Queries, change your forum title, Pocket Queries, individual cache page .gpx downloads....

This pretty much sums it up.

So, what is this Pocket Queries that you extoll so much? And why are they worth it?

--Cam

Since your question is nice and short, I'll try to answer it, nice and short:

Pocket Query (PQ) is a customizable search engine within the Geocaching.com database. You specify the center point, the search radius, and the type of cache you want to search for.

You can view the result of the PQ on the website, which is more refined than the "Search for nearest caches" link available in "My Account" page.

I'll let others elaborate on the paperless caching aspect of PQs, since I'm reaching my limit for a nice and short answer. Yes, it is worth it. PQ is a great value for your money, if you view Premium Membership in a business perspective.

But this is only a sport, and you are just donating money to keep the servers running as smoothly as possible. :huh:

So, what is this Pocket Queries that you extoll so much? And why are they worth it?

--Cam

You can run pocket queries to select the kinds of caches you prefer. Hate micros and multis? You can get a query that filters out micros and multis. You prefer 1/1's? Run a PQ that eliminates everything else. Want everything but puzzle caches? You can do that. Want only puzzle caches? You can do that too. Traveling to another city and want the closest 50 caches to your hotel that have terrain and difficult of less than 3? A snap.

Once you've sliced everything up the way you want it, you'll receive a file that you can upload to your GPS. I get a PQ for the closest 500 caches to my home and a 300 caches from other select areas and load them to my GPS weekly. With the yellow eTrex, you might want to get the closest 400 to your home because it only holds 500 waypoints.

Now wherever you go in your area, you can flick on your GPS and see what caches are nearby.

If you own a PDA, then you can also send the PQ to your PDA and you will have the pages for all those caches at your fingertips.

And I didn't mention all the neat things you can do with PQ's if you have software like Geocaching Swiss Army Knife.

Edited by briansnat

I think it's cool to create a pocket query for my home town in Californina, even though im in Reno,Nv.

And yes being able to pan the GC maps is a very big plus. You can see if there are any other caches in the immediate area, ones you might have missed on the search page.

btw - Do I get ALL the same priviledges with a monthly subscription? I was thinking about paying for 3 months just to see if I really like this hobby. If I enjoy it, of course $30 a year is worth it. If I don't, I saved $21 and will get myself a nice bottle of Chianti. :laughing:

You forgot to emphisise the most important thing.... Pocket Queries

Edited by Right Wing Wacko
btw - Do I get ALL the same priviledges with a monthly subscription? I was thinking about paying for 3 months just to see if I really like this hobby. If I enjoy it, of course $30 a year is worth it. If I don't, I saved $21 and will get myself a nice bottle of Chianti.  :laughing:

Yep. It's the same deal.