Creating Caches 3000 Miles From Home?

Some one who lives in New York just created an "earthcache" in California.

There is no physical cache to find, you have to take a digital photo and post it.

But 3000 miles from home?

I really don't get it.

Can I create "earthcaches" in China, Russia, Africa etc and sit back and wait for people to post the photos for me?

Since I was a kid the Gobi desert in China has had some attraction to me,

can I make that my first one? :cry::huh::huh:

I could creat a thousand of these just sitting at home. :huh:

Edited by jimmyreno
What difference does it make if he was there or not? :huh:

Well... given that an earth cache is supposed to have some sort of educational lesson/component to it - I think it would make more sense if the person writing about a cache was actually there.

I wouldn't want someone writing about a cache after watching a Discovery Channel special on a particular location.

Maybe that's just me - but I like seeing what others are describing when they create a cache - virtual/earth/traditional, whatever.

Maybe it's just me.

Other than that - follow the guidelines as previously mentioned for sure.

Jonathan

Any day now, when Jeremy releases the brand spankin' new Virtuals capability on this site, the way we think about all forms of virtual caches will change completely and wonderfully for all time.

There will be great rejoicing. And we'll all look back on these discussions about earthcaches and virtuals and say to ourselves - "Now I get it!".

Course, this is all a guess on my part. But I hope that's what happens. :huh:

What difference does it make if he was there or not? :huh:

- I think it would make more sense if the person writing about a cache was actually there.

I wouldn't want someone writing about a cache after watching a Discovery Channel special on a particular location.

Jonathan

Check out the link the previous poster provided.

There is no requirement that a person ever go to the place.

You could cut and paste something out of an article someone else wrote.

This particular "earthcache" covers at least 40 acres.

You don't need a gps to find it, you only need the gps to show in the photo you take!!!

It could be non functional and it wouldn't matter.

The only thing you really need is a digital camera to show that a GPS was there.

This "cache" doesn't have anything to do with gps'ing.

Except that it's listed at geocaching.com. Woopie :huh:

Edited by jimmyreno

I've got 8 Earthcaches listed now and some are a few hundred miles (or km) from home. There is no absolute requirement that you visit the site however to get an accurate gps reading it helps although good maps can be used instead. It helps that I'm a geologist and have visited all but one of the Earthcaches that I have listed. To write one up and submit it you will need to know where it is, what access is like and is it available (ie. public land, parks), what the educational aspect is, etc. So technically, I could probably submit dozens more sites quite easily but I'm only submitting ones that I have been too therefore I can both describe the educational aspect and give a personal perspective.

As far as size goes since it was mentioned, one of my Earthcaches is a lake and covers probably a square mile. Check it out at Summit Lake Earthcache

Earthcaches may not be everyone but then there are quite a few cache types that someone else could say the same thing about. We all have parts of the caching experience that we like.

Regardless of whether you like the concept of an earthcache or not (hey, at least it's something we actually get NPS blessing on!), you have no knowledge of how often that cache hider may go to that location. Many people have jobs that require them to travel and he may go 3000 miles back and forth in the manner of once a month for all you know.

All I point out is that you aren't aware of what the cache reviewer(s) (even after getting the okay from the GSA it has to go through Groundspeak) checked up on prior to listing the cache.

Any day now, when Jeremy releases the brand spankin' new Virtuals capability on this site, the way we think about all forms of virtual caches will change completely and wonderfully for all time.

There will be great rejoicing. And we'll all look back on these discussions about earthcaches and virtuals and say to ourselves - "Now I get it!".

Course, this is all a guess on my part. But I hope that's what happens. :huh:

Might I suggest the italicized word be changed to HOPE... these are the forums, after all... :huh:

Many people have jobs that require them to travel and he may go 3000 miles back and forth in the manner of once a month for all you know.

This "cache" is at 4500' elevation, between 2 mountain ranges,

the nearest city is Reno, 100+ miles away.

Other than tourism and a couple of very hardy farmers, there is no business activity there. :huh:

Many people have jobs that require them to travel and he may go 3000 miles back and forth in the manner of once a month for all you know.

This "cache" is at 4500' elevation, between 2 mountain ranges,

the nearest city is Reno, 100+ miles away.

Other than tourism and a couple of very hardy farmers, there is no business activity there. :huh:

Ummmmm, so. :huh:

I'm not really getting the point of your complaint. It seems like sour grapes to me.

Did YOU want to place an Earthcache there or sumthin'?

I'm not really getting the point of your complaint. It seems like sour grapes to me.

No, I don't want to place a cache there, it's a very sensitive enviornmental area, camping and many other activities are prohibited.

There are already enough people trampling the area, drawing in more people who just want to boost their geocaching numbers higher isn't needed.

Nearby areas that are popular now have quotas, a person has to apply in January, fill out papers, and hope to get lucky.

More regulations and quotas there would not be appreciated.

:huh:

Edited by jimmyreno

No, I don't want to place a cache there, it's a very sensitive enviornmental area, camping and many other activities are prohibited.

There are already enough people trampling the area, drawing in more people who just want to boost their geocaching numbers higher aren't needed.

Nearby areas that are popular now have quotas, a person has to apply in January, fill out papers, and hope to get lucky.

More regulations and quotas there would not be appreciated.

:huh:

So is this the true reason for your complaint??? Because it would have been helpful to include it in your OP. :huh:

I've hidden one about 1,500 miles away from my home coords. Yes, I've been there.... last time about 9 years ago. OK, someone hid it for me too, but it's a real cache! On top of that it is maintained too! (BTW, thanks to the cacher in the area and the great approver who helped make it happen!) Personally I like the idea, if it is done right. It is the best Mother's day gift I've ever orchestrated for my wife.

On the topic as well.... I think.... when are those new virt guidelines coming out again?

OK, now I'm confused. :P

Initially, it appeared that the source of your angst was because the creator of the earthcache wasn't a local.

But 3000 miles from home?

You basically had a problem with a vacation-virt. I could respect your concerns even though I own a vacation-virt.

Then you switched on me. Now it appears that you don't like the concept of earthcaches.

No, I don't want to place a cache there, it's a very sensitive enviornmental area, camping and many other activities are prohibited.  There are already enough people trampling the area, drawing in more people who just want to boost their geocaching numbers higher isn't needed.

What were you raging against again? :)

Edited by sbell111

Dang, I still don't understand what the compaint was, exactly.

Okay, I'll admit that I did it primarily for the icon! We drove 386 miles in two days to understand the geology of New Jersey. We visited ten sites in five different areas, and submitted ten photographs. It's not easy to drive 386 miles in New Jersey without hitting another state! We had a GREAT time! We enjoyed it very much, and learned a lot about New Jersey.

What, exactly ws the compalint again?

Some one who lives in New York just created an "earthcache" in California... ... But 3000 miles from home?

I only wish someone from anywhere would place a cache in my part of California. It's very cache lonely up here. New Yorkers are even welcome to place a cache here. Please!

Hello, I'm posting with a couple of clarifications:

All I point out is that you aren't aware of what the cache reviewer(s) (even after getting the okay from the GSA it has to go through Groundspeak) checked up on prior to listing the cache.

This is not correct. Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewers are in no way involved with the review and listing of earthcaches.

On the topic as well.... I think.... when are those new virt guidelines coming out again?

No, not on topic -- but a fair question. There's been no suggestion that earthcaches will be rolled into the new functionality that will replace virtual and locationless caches as we know them today.

I decided to do a little detective work. I looked at one of your hidden geocaches and used the "Find all nearby" caches link to go through the lists.

I found an Earthcache and I believe it's the one you're referring to in your complaint. I won't post it here however, because I don't feel it is polite to single out the cache owner.

But after reading through the cache page, I see no noticable problems.

It's on land managed by the Bureau of Land Management and it's open to the public. How is having a posting of it here any different that maybe it being in a local guidebook, or a ranger telling anyone who comes into the visitor center about it..

Hello, I'm posting with a couple of clarifications:

This is not correct. Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewers are in no way involved with the review and listing of earthcaches.

As I read that back, it's not clear what I meant.

Geocaching.com (not a volunteer reviewer but TPTB) actually have to give the final stamp of approval to get the Earthcache to go live. Whether they just 'rubber-stamp' it because geoaware said it was good to go or not is unknown to me.

The last time people complained that they weren't getting their Earthcaches listed, it turned out that there was some confusion over why geoaware's GSA page said "approved" (or something like that) and yet the geocaching.com page wasn't live. The GC.com PTB hadn't put it through yet.