Garmin Etrex Any Good?

:Pi got an yellow garmin etrex for christmas 2 years ago and just got into geo caching and i was wondering is it any good for caching? Also i was wondering if you can enter coordinates into it and have it lead you to the coordinates? If so how and what page would you enter them in? :P

Is it any good for caching? YES if you purchase a Computer cable to download waypoints.

Will it lead you to the coordinates? YES!!

How do you enter coordinates? Best way get a cable.

Entering coordinates by hand!!!

Main Menu

Mark

Location (Enter N 36 25.258) Enter (W 097 22.123) (Example)

OK (your done)

The yellow etrex is the Volkwagon Beetle of GPSs. It's probably the highest selling and most popular GPS among geocachers.

It has all the basic features one need to geocache, but you'll probably want to upgrade soon after purchasing it.

Jamie

Is it any good for caching? YES if you purchase a Computer cable to download waypoints.

Will it lead you to the coordinates? YES!!

How do you enter coordinates? Best way get a cable.

Entering coordinates by hand!!!

Main Menu

Mark

Location (Enter N 36 25.258) Enter (W 097 22.123) (Example)

OK (your done)

Very nice.

Common lore is that the banana eTrex has found more caches than any other unit. It will reliably get you to within 20 or 30 feet of the cache every time. The Garmin 76CS, for $500, will . . . reliably get you to within 20 or 30 feet of the cache every time. (A Volkswagen and a Mercedes will both get you down the highway to where you want to go). The rest is bells and whistles.

Caches, by nature, can be a bit on the geeky side, easily distracted by bells and whistles.

Look. Oooooh! Shiny!

I just got a yellow etrex myself but am totally lost here. I can find the caches [found 2 so far] but have no idea how to get the coords into the gps without doing it manually. This is tedious and I managed to put in the wrong coords for one and went about 60 miles off course lol

Here's what I have: Etrex, interface cable, GSAK, pc with winXP and no clue how to proceed. :laughing:

Can anyone help?

We have the Yellow Etrex as well, and it is GREAT little unit, I grabbed a cable off of E-bay for $11, and it even had my PDA connector on it.

GSAK downloads the Coordinates, so much easier then doing it manually, now if there were only a PDA program that would download the waypoints into it, I would be a happy camper.

We're borrowing a yellow etrex at the moment... when we buy our own, I'd like to get one that has WAAS so there is a little greater accuracy available when we wanted it. (Currently thinking we'll get a non-color etrex legend, as it's a price difference of $30-40 online, which would be worth the reduced frustration.) I really like the ease of use... though it really likes to give us 50-60 feet accuracy around here, and that margin of error gives us a LOT of ground to cover sometimes.

I'm looking for a cable, though, because entering them all by hand gets tedious after the first 10 or so.

I just got a yellow etrex myself but am totally lost here. I can find the caches [found 2 so far] but have no idea how to get the coords into the gps without doing it manually. This is tedious and I managed to put in the wrong coords for one and went about 60 miles off course lol

Here's what I have: Etrex, interface cable, GSAK, pc with winXP and no clue how to proceed. :lol:

Can anyone help?

Try the steps in this post.