Adopt-a-newbie Scheme

Just a quick question. I am subscribed to the Adopt-a-Newbie topic that is pinned at the top of the forum and I keep seeing a lot of requests for help.

I just wondered if the good folks were replying privately to the noobs as not many replies seem to be made on the forum itself.

Is the system working?

If I see or read someone has found their first cache with one of mine, I always drop an email of congratulations and the offer of extra help and friendly advice to them. Sad to say I don't always get a reply, but it's still nice to be nice.

I've not looked at the pegged thread for a while, but I will now :rolleyes:

SP

I too tend to send warm and friendly emails to newbies who have logged my caches. They usually reply, but there have been some notable exceptions (Bekandian and Beds Clangers may be able to guess who I mean!).

I have been recruiting and training up my own crop of new geocachers. Several of my friends have enjoyed geocaching days out, one has now purchased a GPS and started off caching on her own <pride> , others have expressed an interest in doing so, and my family keep suggesting all sorts of places I could stick caches :rolleyes: In fact, I have had more success with geocaching than I have with getting them to dress up as Roundheads, but that's a different story... <_<

I would have volunteered to help newbies in my area but my availablity is so patchy I reckon they would get impatient waiting until I had some free time, so I did not put myself forwards. Besides, the ubiquitous SP got in first and bagsied the entire Herts/Beds/Bucks and Oxon area! :(

Alibags: my family keep suggesting all sorts of places I could stick caches

I've managed to get three people in the office logging caches regularly (2 gorgeous girls included!), also the Forestry Recreation officer (after I asked about forest access permission he became addicted), and now friends and relatives of these cachers have bought their own GPS units and are out looking for geocaches as I write.

Only one person so far has told me where to stick my caches. :)

Alibags: my family keep suggesting all sorts of places I could stick caches

Oooh! I darent ask :rolleyes:

Actually, its thanks to Ali I'm now a newbie. I live in a part of Leicestershire that has fewer caches and keep seeing ideal spots, but I'll wait a while and get some experience in before I start placing any. There is also a superb Earthcache potential site here; I must check out the rules for that but I think that will be my first. I find it gobsmacking that people have over 1000 caches under their belts, also that already I have heard names of people such as Moun10bike and how desirable his geocoins are.

I have placed an 'ad' in the adopt-a-newbie section.

If I see or read someone has found their first cache with one of mine, I always drop an email of congratulations and the offer of extra help and friendly advice to them.

What if its their second?

Paul

I suppose SP would:

Still send an email but with some sarcasm. Just a 'Well done' - no congrats as they are 'old hands' at it now; offer of a little help (see latter explanation as to why) and a little advice which is not as friendly as if it was your first!!

:D