Seti At Home

hamgran

I've long been interested in this program, "Seti at Home", whereby anyone with a computer and internet access can download radio astronomy data from the site, and their own computer will analyze it for irregularities which may indicate some form of extraterrestrial life.

I see geocaching is represented in two of the groups, or clubs, but there are not a lot of members, and only two from Canada. Anyone else interested in participating?

- hamgran

The first geocaching group: "Geocachers of the World Unite"

The second: "Geocaching"

Edited by hamgran

I have been doing SETI@home as well and was part of one of the Geocaching groups. My computer crashed this week so i will be out of the loop for SETI@home for a few days while it is being fixed. I think I have about 425 units complete before the machine crashed. That would be the ultimate cache if one of us cachers found ET. :)

I recently loaded the newer search program from SETI@home but haven't used it for very long to say anything good or bad about it. The older search program is the one I have used the longest and never had any problems with it.

I'd love to see Geocaching adopt a "certificate" system the same way that SETI does for hitting milestones. This allows each participant to print out nice little personalized certs for themselves after they reach different work milestones (although I can't find the certificates right now since they have re-organized the site). Would be kind of cool for geocaching... Could have 100, 250, 500 + caches found or 100 Virtuals found or ...

What's everyone else think?

I used to do folding@home (which is like SETI@home, but it tries to analyze protein folding, which will provide some insight into certain diseases and other biological processes), but it's not all that practical on a laptop... it is a cheap way to turn the laptop into a space heater, but that's something I'd rather not do!