Garmin Vista C

I'm planning to upgrade from an old Etrex Summit to a Vista C, and plan to use the US Topo software. I gather from reading through various posts that additional software may be needed if I plan to upload/download waypoints between the GPS and the map software. I need to enter dozens of waypoints from the Summit to the Vista (and I don't mind typing them into the software, I just don't want to enter them into the Vista using the rocker). What's the easiest/quickest software to use if the only fields I would use would be the waypoint name, lat./long. and a note?

Also, can someone tell me whether the location field (latitude/longitute) in the Vista's compass page can be used with the distance-to-destination field, with both of them appearing ONE line? (It's not mentioned in the manual, but the location field appears to be too wide for this to be the case.)

Also, can someone tell me whether the location field (latitude/longitute) in the Vista's compass page can be used with the distance-to-destination field, with both of them appearing ONE line?  (It's not mentioned in the manual, but the location field appears to be too wide for this to be the case.)

It doesn't look like you can. When you're in the "Change Data Fields" option on the compass page, and you select one of the half-width boxes, they don't even give "Location (lat/long)" as one of the choices. You only get that choice if you're updating the contents of a full-width box, which means that lat/long can't go on the same line as dist-to-destination field.

Edited by the hermit crabs
Also, can someone tell me whether the location field (latitude/longitute) in the Vista's compass page can be used with the distance-to-destination field, with both of them appearing ONE line?  (It's not mentioned in the manual, but the location field appears to be too wide for this to be the case.)

It doesn't look like you can. When you're in the "Change Data Fields" option on the compass page, and you select one of the half-width boxes, they don't even give "Location (lat/long)" as one of the choices. You only get that choice if you're updating the contents of a full-width box, which means that lat/long can't go on the same line as dist-to-destination field.

Yes you can. check out below.

screen capture

Is this what you were looking for? You have to select the option for 3 data fields instead of 4 on that page, to get the option for the location field to show up, in the long data field box.

I tried EasyGPS, but it doesn't support the Vista C as far as I know.

It uses Garmin's USB interface. The Vista C comes with a basic Mapsource Waypoint Manager that will let you exchange between the two.

I used my Mapsource Topo to transfer my waypoints. FYI The latest version of mapsource will let you import GPX files, but you have to remove the URL lines from the file using a text editor.

Peace

Yes you can. check out below.

screen capture

Is this what you were looking for? You have to select the option for 3 data fields instead of 4 on that page, to get the option for the location field to show up, in the long data field box.

But they're on two different lines. You can't get the location and the distance-to-destination together on one line, which was what the OP was asking for.

I tried EasyGPS, but it doesn't support the Vista C as far as I know.

EasyGPS will work with the Vista C if you tell it that it's a MAP60C.

FYI The latest version  of mapsource will let you import GPX files, but you have to remove the URL lines from the file using a text editor.

Why would you need to remove the URL field. It works fine in MapSource. The URL is inserted into the waypoints Link field.

Mine fails to do this unless I remove the URL field? I couldn't get them to import, but when I compared them to a good GPX that was the only field that was different. I stipped them out and it work fine??

I've got the latest updates from Garmin for Mapsource Topo, so I wonder what gives?

Thanks for the info.......