Explorist 600 Waypoint Downloads

If you become a paying member, you can download large numbers of cache data in a single file called a pocket query. These gpx format files can be loaded directly into the Explorist via the Geocache Manager software that came with your 600 (um...guess that's not exactly direct, but close to it). Right now I would guess that you are dealing with .loc file format.

The Geocache Manager is on the crude side, though. GSAK is a popular program around here that helps manage that data (and do the transfer) more effectively. The interface with the explorist is not quite seamless, but Clyde, the author is working to integrate explorist support in the next release.

If you want to bring in the waypoints data as regular POIs on your 600, you may want to take a look at GPSBabel. It operates from a command line, but the GUI wrappers on the related tools link on that page smooth out the difficulty.

Embra,

I've noticed you're pretty much one of the top resources for explorist 500/600 questions that come up around here. A few others, like JamieZ, come to mind too. Anyways, I was wondering if you would be willing to put together an explorist 500/600 FAQ, probably based on a collection of yours and others posts. Just a suggestion that I'm sure many many folks would appreciate.

What do you think?

HB

Workin on it! Robert Lipe provided an outline that's serving as a good starting point, and I'm trynig to flesh it out in the manner you described. There's a lot of issues/information in this forum, and we've got the Yahoo Explorist users group to draw on, too. Although the 4/5/600s are relatively new, they've been out long enough for us to start to see genuine Frequently Asked Questions, so your suggestion is timely.

Workin on it! Robert Lipe provided an outline that's serving as a good starting point, and I'm trynig to flesh it out in the manner you described. There's a lot of issues/information in this forum, and we've got the Yahoo Explorist users group to draw on, too. Although the 4/5/600s are relatively new, they've been out long enough for us to start to see genuine Frequently Asked Questions, so your suggestion is timely.

Great!! Looking forward to it...