Round And Round I Walk....

Just got back from a family reunion in Georgia and Alabama....of course I had to cache along the way. Found 8 out of 9 caches, lost several gallons of sweat in the woods, received a few scratches from briars and white bumps on my left arms from the briars or maybe poison ??.

I usually hate cache "HINTS" that tell you exactly where the cache is located..."the cache is located in the root system of the big magnolia tree". But on this trip I was thankful for those types of hints. Otherwise I would not have found the eight caches that I did. Reason? My GPSr had me literally walking around in circles on most of the caches. I would set the GOTO and start following the arrow into the woods. The arrow would point say north at 90'. I would start walking then the arrow would point west at 70' so I would follow the arrow and then it would point south at 80'...then this direction and then that direction. I actually walked passed the cache container at two different locations. I would finally zero in but the cache was nowhere to be found. I would "cheat" and read the hint, look around, find the spot, look and sure enough there was the cache...20'-60' away. I blamed it on the tree cover and I am sticking to that excuse. Anybody else experience that kind of round about way of finding caches on a regular basis?

You must use a Magellan, right? :o:P

Tree cover is a big factor. I think pine needles scatter the signal a bit too. Welcome to our world. I guess we are used to it. I shoot bearings when things go crazy like that by standing in one spot and waiting for the GPS to settle a bit. I do that in a few locations and set my pack down where I think the zero spot is. That gives me a reference point and a radius to work from. The Leprechauns and carleenp saw me doing that this weekend. It turns out we that we were very close to the final cache location.

You must use a Magellan, right?  :o  :P

Tree cover is a big factor.  I think pine needles scatter the signal a bit too.  Welcome to our world.  I guess we are used to it.  I shoot bearings when things go crazy like that by standing in one spot and waiting for the GPS to settle a bit.  I do that in a few locations and set my pack down where I think the zero spot is.  That gives me a reference point and a radius to work from.  The Leprechauns and carleenp saw me doing that this weekend.  It turns out we that we were very close to the final cache location.

Yes, as a matter of fact I do have a Magellan. :D It has to be a combination of pine needles and Magnolia leaves. I have never experienced anything like that any place I have cached. I literally walked in circles...walking past the cache. Thing is two of the caches were in easy locations but here I am following the arrow into deep dark thick scratchy, biting woods...just to come back out to find the cache near a trail.

You (southeastern cachers :D ) need to add a warning label to your caches... You will have to walk in circles to find this cache. :D

I will say there is a lot of and I do mean a lot of uncached areas in the south. Town after town, rest areas, parks galore, you name it and it is probably available for a cache.

All I have to do now is figure out where these white bumps (pimples) on my forearm came from. I don't know if I hit some poison stuff or if I have thorns stuck in my arm. I got to work this morning and my arm started to itch. I looked at it and found 12 white spots. Some are clustered in 2 to 4 bumps together. I posted a thread in the southeast forum but nobody has responded yet. Any ideas?

Breaking out in Spokane :o

Been in SC all my life so I'm just used to it. I grew up not knowing any better than to walk i circles. It's kinda like learning to ski in North Carolina. You don't know any different until you go out West. I guess we're a bit more rugged down here.

What's the waffle fairy?