Garmin, Magellan...what To Get?!?!

ATMS

Ok...looking to get a new GPSr today. Love the one I have, but I'm upgrading from my Magellan Explorist 200 since I can't put in the coordinates of a cache to get to it (my "team" (husband and son) are tired of me saying...it's up there...and then it is down there...and then we have to go back up again - I'm such a rookie! ;) )...ANYHOW...I'm looking at 3 possibilities...

Magellan Meridian Platinum 16MB

Garmin GPSMAP 60C

Garmin GPS 60

This is what is important to me: Accuracy, Able to download info from geocaching.com, and value for $$... (and maps?)

So...the two Garmins offer "geocaching navigation mode"...what is that? Is it a good thing? :)

Any thoughts on the Magellan?

BTW...the $$ is burning a hole in my pocket...need to go to the store soon!! :D

I'm such a rookie! :lol: )...ANYHOW...I'm looking at 3 possibilities...

Garmin GPSMAP 60C

Garmin GPS 60

This is what is important to me: Accuracy, Able to download info from geocaching.com, and value for $$... (and maps?)

So...the two Garmins offer "geocaching navigation mode"...what is that? Is it a good thing? :o

BTW...the $$ is burning a hole in my pocket...need to go to the store soon!! :o

The Garmin GPS 60 is non maping,Garmin GPSMAP 60 is mapping.

I'm also new to this sport saving up for my frist GPS,i'm leaning toward the Garmin GPSMAP 60 as my frist unit,I want a mapping one,one that uses USB to load waypoints,it has a long battery life 28 hours.

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/gpsmap60_ownersmanual.pdf you'll need Adobe Reader to open up the pdf,this is the owners manual.

I hope to have one latter this summer.

"geocaching navigation mode",If I remember right it is used to store your geo caches and manage them,as you find them you can mark found.

The ceapest i've seen sofar is http://www.digtallyunique.com/010-00322-10.html#

Hope theses links work for me i'm still new useing this forum.

I did a lot of research before buying my Meridian Platinum. It paid off, because the MeriPlat treats me right. I like everything about it, except for the size. It's a big'un. Find one in the store (if you haven't already) and hold it in your hand. If the size is OK, I think you'll be happy with everything else.

The geocaching mode marks the cache differently than a waypoint (different symbol). You can search for a cache without looking at other waypoints. When you find a cache, it changes the symbol so that when you try to find a cache, your found caches won't still show up.

I orginally got the Magellan Meridian Gold - learned how to use it and was surprised how much it would do for me - especially being able to download into the unit. I then bought an Magellan Exporist 200 - which I ended up giving to my daugther - and bought another Meridian Gold (so my lady and I would both have one). Don't know anything about the Garmin - except my other daugther got one of those and she seems to be happy with it. Enjoy

Garmin GPSMAP 60C

Garmin GPS 60

This is what is important to me:  Accuracy, Able to download info from geocaching.com, and value for $$... (and maps?)

I am not sure why you are comparing the Garmin 60C with the Meridian Platinum. Is it the digital compass you really want? The 60C is color screen and the comparable Magellan is the Meridian Color which is basically the Meridian gold with a color screen.

I am a Meridian Color user, but I question what I would buy if my unit broke today. There is a good chance I would go for the Garmin.

The Meridian uses SD cards whereas the 60C has 56mb of internal memory. 56m of memory for maps will hold several "rural" states and usually more than 1 entire, highly populated state (higher the population the more POI and streets there are to include).

I have a 64mb card in my Meridian and it is 100% filled with maps, but I don't require any more than that. Frequent travelers would like having a larger card to load the maps onto.

The Garmin has a longer battery life (I get about 10 hours of run time) though. The Garmin also has a USB interface for loading maps whereas the Meridians have a serial interface which makes buying a memory card reader (under $10) a must for transfering maps to the memory card.

They are both solid units so if the above differences don't sway you just toss a coin between the two I am pretty certain you will be pleased with either.

Besides, my current Magellan isn't my first unit and I don't know which I would choose if I had to buy again today so it isn't like it's all that easy a decision unless there is some feature specific to one that you just have to have.

Ok...looking to get a new GPSr today. Love the one I have, but I'm upgrading from my Magellan Explorist 200 since I can't put in the coordinates of a cache to get to it (my "team" (husband and son) are tired of me saying...it's up there...and then it is down there...and then we have to go back up again - I'm such a rookie! :o )...ANYHOW...I'm looking at 3 possibilities...

Garmin GPSMAP 60C

Garmin GPS 60

So...the two Garmins offer "geocaching navigation mode"...what is that? Is it a good thing? :D

Any thoughts on the Magellan?

BTW...the $$ is burning a hole in my pocket...need to go to the store soon!! :D

We just bought the Garmin 60c, as an upgrade from our yellow Etrex. This unit is absolutely incredible!

It was so easy to learn how to use, and so far, it has been very accurate. It is quite easy to download the waypoints from the pocket query, and the geocaching mode is really nice.

Keep in mind that this unit does not have the removeable memory card, and the maps that are included only show the major interstates. In order for addition maps, you will need to purchase CitySelect. On ebay, you can find this used for $85. We were lucky enough to find it new from Best Buy for 94 including a navigation kit.

Aside from these two issues, which we were prepared for when we made our purchase, we highly recommend the 60c.

We purchased from buy.com for about $300.

The Garmin 60C is an excellent choice. Color screens, 1,000 waypoints, geocaching mode, USB connection, auto routing (with the City Select software) and very easy to use

user interface. I have a Meridian Godl and the 60 series interface blows it away.

As others mentioned, it has 56 megs of internal memory wich gives a wide area of map coverage, but no expansion cards. Though cards are nice, they aren't all they are cracked up to be. Especially when you head out and the correct card is sitting home in your card reader. :o .