Software For Calculating Distance

Hello my friends in Geocaching !

Recently I placed a microcache at the area of the Acropolis hill, but it was not accepted as the distance from the nearest microcache was less than 0.1 mile (161 meters).

It was sure my mistake and I will replace the cache further that the other microcache.

All I want to ask, is if there is any software (possibly utility) for the pc or for Palm, that we will be giving the coordinates of two points and then it will be returning us their distance.

I know MapSource from Garmin has this ability but I am asking for something lighter if there is.For example the approvers how do they calculate the distances?

Thanks in advance.

Yanni

Edited by YanniG
The easiest solution is to simply let your GPS do if for your. Download the caches for the area you're thinking about using, and put them in your GPS. When you find a likely place to hide a cache, use the GPS to see how far you are from the nearest cache.

I'll second this. Yesterday I found a cool spot while looking for another cache. It's about 300' from one under a sagebrush and 200' from a cache where you are 10' off the road. It was easy to see that on my GPS. However the spot I found lets you walk 15' into a 20' deep crack/crevass that takes you out of sight of muggles and into the shade where there is a nook perfect for a cache. I already know it can't be listed on GC.com. I tend to combine looking for caches with scouting for locations.

Edited by Renegade Knight

When I plan a hide for a new cache, the first thing I do is punch the coords into the cache search page - voila! it spits out all the nearby caches with their bearing and distance from my entered coords.

Only touble with this, as well as some of these other methods is... if there's nearby puzzle caches, you'd have to solve the puzzle/find the cache to know precisely where the hide coords fall. Also, with multi's, if there's interim wpt hides... not sure if some approvers take these into account or nay...