Frs Radios

mrking

I just found out that the two channels for Geocaching on FRS Radios are 2 and 12.

I think I'll carry mine with me on the next few weekend jaunts and see if I can call anyone up.

Anyone here ever take their FRS with them while caching?

Down this way most FRS use is limited to event caches or when part of a group. Channel 2 is the official and seems to be the choice of most cachers. I carry mine in my backpack when out alone but usually forget to turn it on.

Cheers, Olar

My buddy Viscouse and I, and our wives, recently went on a mushrooming weekend. We had to take two cars and we hunted virtuals on the way to and from the place we were staying.

He brought FRSs and we had one in each car. It was the best! Instead of thinking: "What is he doing???", it was: "Uh, I think that was our exit - how do you feel about turning around?" And it was nicer staying in touch on the radios while hunting than having to shout. And we chatted and kidded around. It made the 4 hour drive much more enjoyable.

I plan to get a pair with GMRS for when I'm geocaching solo outside cell phone range. Some of the more powerful ones have a 12 mile (ideal) range.

I have the Rino 120 GPSr, which has FRS and GMRS, so yes I do take it caching. I usually turn it off because the sound seems to go off at the most inapproprate times when muggles are about. I keep it on one of the GMRS channels (22 right now), since it has almost twice the range as FRS. Also there is less activity on GMRS, since it was only reciently legalized in Canada. Is there a GMRS channel for geocaching?

You live in BC mrking?

Edited by Circle of Confusion
Is there a GMRS channel for geocaching?

Actually with a GMRS radio you can continue to use channel 2 for geocaching.

Channels 1 to 7 are shared FRS/GMRS frequencies. Your GMRS radio will transmit at the higher power but will be received by both FRS and GMRS.

Channels 8 to 14 are FRS only and your radio will automatically use the lower, FRS, power level.

Channels 15 to 24 are GMRS only.

Cheers, Olar

Ch. 2 is both FRS and GMRS in Canada and able to transmit @ up to 2 watts. This setup worked great for us cachers. lol Hopefully in the future, Garmin will adjust the Rino series to transmit data on the GMRS freq. and at full power.

parker2

You live in BC mrking?

Yes, I am in BC, Poco to be exacty. I just place a cache called Timber! the other week.

I found your cache a few weeks ago in Lafarge Park. That was a very good hide IMO.

Maybe one day we'll meet up!

Edited by mrking

When I was at the COG Spring Fling event at the end of April, many cachers had FRS radios. I did not have any at the time but thought that it would be nice to have a pair. My wife and I ended up winning a pair of FRS/GMRS radios as a door prize. We try to use the radios as much as possible. They're great for calling the kids in for dinner ;)