Waypoint Projections On A Pocketpc Based Pda?

My Geocaching gear consists of a Magellan eXpolorist 600 and my older Garmin eTrex Legend. Neither do waypoint projections.

No fear, I've got my handy-dandy Dell Axim PocketPC (Windows Mobile 2003 SE). The problem is, I can't find any software that'll do waypoint projections on it. GPXSonar is an awesome tool and handles everything else I could ask for paperless geocaching, but alas no projections.

Does anyone out there know of a program (/method?) that I can use to calculate waypoint projections here? I know about the eXplorist trick on the map screen -- I'm looking for a method with a bit more precision as some of the local cachers got evil and have waypoint projections that go for dozens of kilometers.

YOur etrex Legend does waypoint projections. I can get mine and give you the steps, because I do not remember the steps.

That would be helpful for the times I get to 'borrow back' my eTrex from my wife. Note -- it's not a Legend C.

I'd still like to see what I can do for those times I'm using my eXplorist. Surely a PocketPC application exists for this purpose. Otherwise I may just have to sit down and write one -- one I learn how to do projections.

I have been searching for a projecting PPC application too, not found yet.

It would be nice to have more accurate tool to project waypoints than my Etrex, sometimes there are more decimals in the projection data than my GPSr is capable to handle.

Of course I can use the inverted projection method: go to the estimated projected point and the change the wayopint to the original seeing the more accurate distance and bearing (-180deg).

Projecting a waypoint in GPXSonar:

It's in the Field notes.

0. Pick a cache

1. Start a note

2. Click [Actual Coordinates]

3. Enter the starting coordinates

4. Click [Project]

5. Enter distance, Units, and bearing

6. Click [Project]

Now the Actual Coordinates fields will have the new coordinates.

You can keep on traversing from point to point by repeating steps 4 through 6.

Calculations are done to four decimal places (minutes).

I've never tested it against a known good PC based program

In Memory-Map Navigator, when I create a route, it shows me bearing and direction from one waypoint to the other (which would allow for multiple projections). Great for orienteering as I can do multiple legs at once.

This is a very extensive program, though. Lots more to it. I use it on my Axims all the time. (I use an Aquapac with the unit to keep it out of the water and dust.)

Edited by Greymane
Projecting a waypoint in GPXSonar:

It's in the Field notes.

0. Pick a cache

1. Start a note

2. Click [Actual Coordinates]

3. Enter the starting coordinates

4. Click [Project]

5. Enter distance, Units, and bearing

6. Click [Project]

Now the Actual Coordinates fields will have the new coordinates.

You can keep on traversing from point to point by repeating steps 4 through 6.

Calculations are done to four decimal places (minutes).

I've never tested it against a known good PC based program

Hey thanks! I never saw that feature in there!

That should work nicely

What is Projecting a Waypoint?

Why do you need to do that?

Next stop is 60 meters from here, bearing is 232°. Look at the stone erected on memory of the war veterans. On what day of July was the stone put there? What prime number has this ordinal? Add zero in front of this prime number and you get desimal part of longitude minutes. Full degrees and minutes are the same as in starting lovcation. Cache is in there, bearing 204° and distance 310 meters from the starting coordinates.

I have been searching for a projecting PPC application too, not found yet.

It would be nice to have more accurate tool to project waypoints than my Etrex, sometimes there are more decimals in the projection data than my GPSr is capable to handle.

Of course I can use the inverted projection method: go to the estimated projected point and the change the wayopint to the original seeing the more accurate distance and bearing (-180deg).

My Handspring will project a waypoint to at least 6 digits.

A part of cachemate I think,

I don't have any waypoints in it now to check,

just got back from a trip and cleaned it out. :P;):lol:;);)