Additional Gps Unlock Price?

Having an internal debate, just purchased an additional garmin (96C) but my Vs free unlock code went to another unit I sold. I took the GF caching and she really liked it and has expressed interest in getting her own unit. Amazon has the GPS V for like 230 bucks and it obviously comes with a free unlock. I had planned on getting her a GPS of her own already. I am thinking of giving her my perfect condition GPS V, buying a new one since it comes with a free unlock, I still have a V for the truck/motorcycle, she has a gps, I have an unlock for my 96C, for the total price of 230 ish bucks. How much would it be from garminto add an additional unit to my current v's city select? This seems like the best deal to get her a decent gps for cheap and get me an unlock. Is this sound logic? If I paid for another unlock (not sure of price), I know I could not get her a gps as capable as the V for less than 170 ish bucks.

Edited by wickedsprint
I read that the software only comes with 1 unlock code not 2. Is this true? I am considering that deal as well.

It comes with a code that you enter into the Unlock Wizard when you first install the City Select maps and MapSource program on your PC and the 'Wizard' generates an unlock code for the GPS V. You can then enter the serial number of a second Garmin GPS and the Unlock Wizard will generate a second unlock. Alternately, you can go to Garmin's website on the unlock page, and get the second unlock there.

We did this recently when I purchased a GPS V for my wife's use (we bought one of the reman ones from tvnav.com). After unlocking the CitySelect maps to work with the GPS V, we used the 'Wizard' to also unlock the maps for my eMap so I'd get more up-to-date streets and POIs than with my older MetroGuide, v4.01 maps.

Bottom line is that if you get the GPS V you will be able to use the CitySelect maps both on that unit and on your 76cs.

I am thinking of giving her my perfect condition GPS V, buying a new one since it comes with a free unlock.

I think your logic about the free unlock is sound, but your thinking about giving her the used V rather than the new V is seriously flawed.

The reason I want to give her the used one is because it is unlocked for an older version of city select, that way I can have her gps unlocked on ehr computer at her house, and both of my gps units unlocked witht he same version of city select on my computer, keeps it alot neater. It is a moot point calling it used, it is in flawless shape and save for the used unlock deal I could easily sell it as "new" never used on ebay and not have anyone question it when they get it delivered.

Well I ended up just grabbing another V from discount gps, pretty close to amazons price when ya include similar shipping plus I don't mind paying them a bit extra since their service has always been very nice, the GF did not want the new one anyhow, she's afraid she is going to damage her first one *shrugs* so she gets the barely used one. She is pretty competetive so now it appears we will be racing for each cahe as soon as we get out of the truck. The 96C ought to be pretty nice with the city select since it holds like 119mb although its basemap sucks.

Edited by wickedsprint

I've got a 60CS that I use mainly for fishing but I started to get interested in Autorouting. When I started looking at City Select, I considered doing the same thing you did, but found that Metroguide 4.0 (originally designed for the V) would autoroute on the GPSmap 60CS so I went that route since I had two other Garmin mapping units that I could use Metroguide with.

So far, I've been pleased with Metroguide.