Cache Per Capita State Rankings

In fact it appears that states with large urban centers in restricted geographical settings (New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Illinois, etc.) may have artificially low numbers. Cache density around the city (or all over New Jersey) would be abnormally high, that in the country abnormally low because the population is not centered in the middle of the state and can't as easily reach it as they would otherwise be able being centrally located.

Doesn't explain why Ohio is so low. Bit of a surprise.

I'm afraid once again your theories are off.

The most cache dense parts of NJ are the least populated. As a matter of fact, a very large chunk of NJ (the Pine Barrens) is one of the least populated areas in the entire northeast; yet it's loaded with caches.

In fact it appears that states with large urban centers in restricted geographical settings (New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Illinois, etc.) may have artificially low numbers.  Cache density around the city (or all over New Jersey) would be abnormally high, that in the country abnormally low because the population is not centered in the middle of the state and can't as easily reach it as they would otherwise be able being centrally located.

Doesn't explain why Ohio is so low.  Bit of a surprise.

I'm afraid once again your theories are off.

The most cache dense parts of NJ are the least populated. As a matter of fact, a very large chunk of NJ (the Pine Barrens) is one of the least populated areas in the entire northeast; yet it's loaded with caches.

Yes New Jersey is somewhat of an anomoly. But as it's a small(ish) state, I bet the areas you mentioned are easily accessible from large urban areas.

This thread got me thinking about our local cache density. My town currently has seven caches in it; we are planning a few more and know of another cacher who also has some in the works. We should be up to a dozen by mid-summer, I would guess.

Now, that doesn't sound like much -- except that the population of this town was 2,680 at the 2004 census. With 12 caches, that comes out to almost 450 caches per 100,000 inhabitants. :unsure:

I just tried to do a quick comparison with Nasville. It's kind of hard to tell exactly how many are in it using a zipcode search, but it looks like about 700 -- which is only about 125 caches per 100,000 inhabitants.

Yes New Jersey is somewhat of an anomoly. But as it's a small(ish) state, I bet the areas you mentioned are easily accessible from large urban areas.

Obviously, you've never driven in New Joisey! :lol:

68 miles from here to the Pine Barrens. That'll probably take me 2.5 to 3 hours each way.