Is There Any Type Of Permission Form Letter?

Cigar Bubba

Hello ,

I am not sure if any one has asked this question before or not, I have tryed doing a search for it but have not gotten anything I could use yet. Is there or does any one out here have a form type letter for asking Permission from a park management or town to place a cache? I am hoping that there might be some type I could look at to even give me some hints on how to ask for permission. Thank you for any help you can give me Cigar Bubba

I don't know about a permission form . . . I think the organization might have such a thing themselves.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to print out some of the Geocaching brochures to give to the people from whom you need permission if they are unfamiliar with Geocaching.

These are available in .pdf format. Sorry, I cannot find the link right now.

The brochure is nice, but I think there really should be an introduction to geocaching written for property owners compared to participants. A property owner would have a lot of concerns about giving permission for a cache placement and most of them can be addressed by a standard presentation that would include both brochures, perhaps some illustrations of typical caches, info on the web site, some testimonials or other property owners' letters and finally, a permission form which could be put on file (either physical or scanned in).

I would be willing to work on this with some of the leaders in geocaching. The Maryland MGS is working on getting permissions from various park agencies and I am going to try to work with them. I will be happy to share our efforts in this area.

A standard presentation would make it much easier for individuals to get permission and be very useful in avoiding situations like we are having in SC.

Hello ,

I am not sure if any one has asked this question before or not, I have tryed doing a search for it but have not gotten anything I could use yet. Is there or does any one out here have a form type letter for asking Permission from a park management or town to place a cache? I am hoping that there might be some type I could look at to even give me some hints on how to ask for permission. Thank you for any help you can give me Cigar Bubba

Make sure you reset the dates search to sometthing other than the default 30days. (today and everything older works well).

'permission letter' turns up a few. I think there are threads somewhere out there with examples from different people.

When I asked permission from the DNR and forest service and our local parks and recreation department I took in a cache container with all the goodies and showed them the contents and I gave them a please read paper to keep with my name and phone number on it in case of any arrising problems with my hides.Thats all it took for me to get the O.K. to hide on those lands.

I put this together a while ago.

Dear _______:

I'm writing to request permission to place a geocache in _______. If you are

not familiar with the term geocache, it's the focal point of a sport called geocaching.

Geocaching entails a person hiding a small container (the geocache), usually containing a log book and trinkets, then using a Global Positioning System receiver (GPSr) to mark the longititude and latitude of the geocache. The coordinates are then published on the Internet to allow others to find it.

Geocaching is a fun, family oriented activity that has the benefit of getting

people outdoors and introducing them to areas of historic, natural, or scenic interest.

Managers of many parks and nature preserves have determined that geocaching is a

beneficial, low impact activity and encourage the sport on their lands. They see the

additional visitors and increased exposure that geocaching brings as a plus.

Similarly, geocachers often discover exciting new places through the sport,

while getting exercise and gaining an appreciation for these areas.

I believe that ________ is one of the special places that would be of interest

to geocachers and would like to explore the possibility of my placing a

geocache there. Please contact me at_________ to discuss this.

Thank You,

Edited by briansnat
Well, it is not exactly what you are looking for, but here is a good brochure on what geocaching is...

http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/brochure.html

I love this brochure! I was looking for some information for my business class and this is just the sortta thing I was looking for! thank you for posting!!! We had introductions and I got the instructor really interested so i told her I would bring some information next class. if we have time I might ask if we can go visit a caches I placed near the parking lot earlier this summer. :unsure:

stupid typos

Edited by wreckelite

I'm hurt that Brian didn't mention my letter, prolly because it's better than his:

Dear ______________

I intend to place a geocache in _________ park. As per applicable rules, I am requesting permission for this placement. Please don’t construe “requesting” to imply that I believe I need your permission. The Frisbee players, kite flyers, picnickers, and jungle-gymers do not request your permission to engage in their respective activities, so it should be obvious where I stand on this issue. I won’t mention that the teenage copulaters, dope smokers, and fudgepackers do not request permission to use the park for their activities either. Insofar as my “request” is concerned, please accept that it is merely a formality and that I will place the geocache regardless of your objections, if any.

It should be noted though, that geocachers are generally a great bunch of folks. We routinely clean up trash in the parks and on the trails as we make our way to and from the cache. Additionally, we dilute the population of undesirables by introducing good, law abiding citizens into the parks, myself notwithstanding.

Please understand that I make this nonsensical request with the best intentions. I would never pick the lock on the storage shed and let the air out of all the basketballs in retribution just because you remove my cache container, but know that I could.

V/R

Criminal (Charter Throbbing Member)